Official GIGABYTE Forum

Format C:\Drive then reinstall.

Format C:\Drive then reinstall.
« on: July 07, 2013, 08:18:07 am »
I have a Gigabyte Q2532 Notebook.

I decided to increase the size of the C:\Dirve and reduce the D:\Drive. This was successful.

I then used a Windows Disk to reinstall the OS instead of using the F9 Key at start up. Things are a mess now with programs freezing (Mainly IE 100.)

What I would like to do is to wipe the slate clean and start with a newly formatted C:\Dirve and then use the F9 key to install Windows etc.

Windows version 7 64 bit.

I am at a loss as to how to do this.

Could someone point me in the right direction.

Thank You.  ???
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 08:19:11 am by RainLover »

davidbec

Re: Format C:\Drive then reinstall.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 12:53:47 pm »
Hi

You may have done this already. But you first have to copy all the data from your profile folder which is inside the users folder on the c drive onto the D drive as this is where all your documents, photos, email (Live Mail, Outlook etc) and such should be.

Reboot the PC and insert the Windows 7 install disk.

you would let it run and when given the option choose a custom/advanced install.
Then select to format the C drive.
Once the install completes. Copy only the documents, desktop, photos, videos folders from the backup on the d drive into your new profile folder in the users folder on the c drive.

Reload any programs you require.
Happy S1080 owner from Barbados

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 01:06:50 pm »
I thought I had to use the F9 key on startup to reload. I did not get a Windows 7 disk as the OS is on a hidden partition. Problem is that the F9 key does not work.

I hope this explains better what I am trying to do.

davidbec

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 04:16:50 am »
Hi

I just downloaded your manual.

Did you try pressing the F9 key from the moment that you turn it on and keeping your finger on it; or pressing it repeatedly?

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 11:03:42 am »
First an update of what I have done.

I have loaded Windows 7 from a Disk that I have. It is not the correct version and I cannot register it.

So back to trying to install via the F9 key.

Answer

I hold down the key until I get a new screen. This screen gives me two options. One is to do a Memory test. The other is to start Windows which it does. What is loaded is the version I installed via the disk. So I have not made any real progress.

I thank you for your help so far and would appreciate your further advice.

MisterEd

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 05:29:31 pm »
You said you reduced the D:\Drive. What was on the D:\Drive?

I have seen a lot of notebooks where the D:\Drive was the recovery partition. For example my Dell notebook has a 233GB hard drive. It has two partitions a 219GB C:\ partition labeled OSDisk and a 13GB D:\ partition labeled Recovery. The D:\ partition contains the recovery data that is used to restore the C:\ partition if that is ever necessary.

The purpose of pressing F9 is to go to the recovery partition and use the data there to restore the C:\ Windows partition. If you messed up the recovery partition then there is no way to reinstall Windows using it. If this is so then your only option is to contact Gigabyte to get a recovery DVD for your notebook.

I have a Gigabyte Q2532 Notebook.

I decided to increase the size of the C:\Dirve and reduce the D:\Drive. This was successful.

I then used a Windows Disk to reinstall the OS instead of using the F9 Key at start up. Things are a mess now with programs freezing (Mainly IE 100.)

What I would like to do is to wipe the slate clean and start with a newly formatted C:\Dirve and then use the F9 key to install Windows etc.

Windows version 7 64 bit.

I am at a loss as to how to do this.

Could someone point me in the right direction.

Thank You.  ???
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.0 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | Windows 7 Ult 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2 (4x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 | Windows 7 Home Prem  64-bit

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 05:40:31 pm »
The Recovery it contained in a hidden partition.

Not on the D:\ Drive

I can post a pic if that would help. Or should I write directly to Gigabyte technical department for help.

I did think taht this forum would be faster but then I guess not many people would have come across this problem before.

davidbec

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 06:15:25 pm »
There does seem to be something wrong with the recovery partition or the function to get it started.

I would recommend you download Hiren Boot CD and create a bootable CD. Then load GParted Partition Editor from the DOS menu and have a look at the partitions on the disk. Then you will know for sure what is there and what is not. If the partition is there still this program would allow you to set the laptop to boot from this partition and thereby force the recovery procedure.

BootCD information
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

GParted Program information
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Hiren Boot CD download
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 11:22:31 pm »
Thanks for that.

I will have a look.

MisterEd

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 02:08:16 am »
The Recovery it contained in a hidden partition.
Not on the D:\ Drive
To see if there is a hidden partition open Disk Management. You will see a graphic for Disk0 and and how it is partitioned.
Note the size given under Disk 0. Add up the sizes given for all the partitions shown for Disk 0. If their total is less than the number shown for Disk 0 then there indeed is a hidden partition. The difference is the size of the hidden partition. The recovery partition should be about 10GB.

The recovery partition can become corrupted. One time someone asked me to fix their computer. Windows apparently was corrupted. I hit the required key to bring up the system recovery menu. When started it did a system recovery from the hidden recovery partition. When the system recovery was finished it rebooted. While booting Windows hung because some error. When I tried to hit the same key again to try system recovery again nothing happened. I could no longer get to the recovery menu. I had no choice but to order the Recovery DVD set from the manufacturer. Once I used those I was able to restore the system with no problem.

Afterwards out of curiosity I tried the same key as I used before to bring up the recovery menu. It still did not work. I had thought that using the system recovery disks would recreate the recovery partition but apparently it had not. The recovery partition was still there but it was now useless.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.0 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | Windows 7 Ult 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2 (4x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 | Windows 7 Home Prem  64-bit

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 06:05:56 am »
I would like to thank you all for the advice you gave me.

I eventually threw the towel in as all the things I tried did not work. I think my recovery partition is damaged.

I had a new Windows disk that I bought when Windows 8 was introduced. It was a spare so I formatted both C: and D: Drives and installed a completely new version of Windows 7.

Things are working just fine now.

Once again Thank You.