Official GIGABYTE Forum

Help Needed! GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 - System only Boots after clearing CMOS!

Configuration (Never Overclocked, 1 year old):

GA-Z68X-UD4-B3
Intel i5 2500k
Corsair GS600
Corsair Vengeance 4GB running at 1333Mhz
Zotac GTX 550ti 1 GB
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
LG DVDRW
Dell U2311H Monitor
Cooler Master CM Elite 430 Case

Idle Temperature - 35c (No problems with system, graphics card or processor temperature)

I started receiving CMOS resets a few times from last month. I was asked to choose a CMOS Profile during boot(Defaults, Lass known good config..) but it worked. But yesterday when i switched on the system, there was no display, reset didn't work. I had to press the power button for few seconds to shutdown. I opened the case and only saw the Phase LED's in the motherboard glowing all the time, no power for keyboard and mouse, all fans work but it never boots up.

So, i removed the battery, power, 24 pin power and left for sometime. Now, i had a successful boot. Works stable, restarts well but only till i shutdown my computer. Again i had the same issue of not booting up. Hence, i had to do the same process again. I also checked the RAM using Memtest and it didn't show any errors.

I updated the bios from F8 to F10 via Q-Flash during boot. I also used Alt+F12 to update the backup bios too. Still i had the same issue and did a CMOS reset for a successful boot. Now, i changed the bios to "Load Optimized Defaults". Now everything works fine. But when i added a case fan, it didn't boot up but after a successful "CMOS reset + Load Optimized Defaults" again it works really well. Now i can switch off the computer and again boot up the computer after turning on.

My Queries:

1. Is there any issue with the Battery? Should i take the battery or the motherboard itself to the Gigabyte Service Center?

I really fear to add any devices or change settings in Bios which could bring the same issue.

I hope someone here could help me out on this.

Forgive me for the long query.

ac

Re: Help Needed! GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 - System only Boots after clearing CMOS!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 11:47:58 am »
I had a similar problem on a GA-Z77-UD5H.  The problem on my board occured after a bios update.  Did the problem occur after or before your bios update? Updating the bios using @bios in widows can cause an issue like this.  Only use Q-flash when updating the bios.

If your cmos battery was bad, you would be notified during post.  Something in this nature, " Cmos settings are reset, please check battery."
Or "Time and date has been changed, please hit del enter bios to save settings."  Or "load cmos defaults, press del to enter bios".  And this would occur every time you boot your system. So unless you are getting theses messages during post, your battery is good.

If you are getting these messages once in a while that mean that your battery is low and needs to be replaced. The battery might be leaking, causing corrosion that will cause this problem too.  You would see white powder on  the battery if this was the case.

You can also check your cmos battery with a multimeter.  Even though your motherboard is 1 year old the battery can be depleated from all sorts of reasons.  You can install a new battery yourself.  It is a watch battery the size of a quarter.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:22:35 pm by ac »

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 12:47:29 pm »
Thanks for your reply. This problem occurred before i updated the bios. I will replace the battery first and will get back with the result.

As of now, i think the problem occurs only if i use the RESET button or change anything in the configuration (like removing hdd, attaching case fan).

ac

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 01:17:30 pm »
Are you talking about the reset button on the computer case or on the motherboard itself?
If you are resetting the motherboard directly, what is occurring is normal.

If you have to reset the motherboard everytime you want the computer to boot, well there is a problem.
Bad componets can cause that.  A bad bios can cause that.

A locked up bus can cause that.  Like a video card.  To resolve you can try to remove and reinstall the actual video card.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 01:22:40 pm by ac »

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 05:04:08 pm »
No problems with the video card as i tried 3 of them. Yes, i am talking about the reset button on the computer case. Yes, i had to reset CMOS to boot before. But now after CMOS Reset + Load Optimized Defaults, it boots well even after shutdown. No problems now.

I hope my motherboard is fine since it is running good now. I will change the battery next week. :-)

Fatman

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 01:12:39 am »
I had a similar problem on a GA-Z77-UD5H.  The problem on my board occured after a bios update.  Did the problem occur after or before your bios update? Updating the bios using @bios in widows can cause an issue like this.  Only use Q-flash when updating the bios.

The later version of @Bios seems ok to use. I have used it with no problems.

If your cmos battery was bad, you would be notified during post.  Something in this nature, " Cmos settings are reset, please check battery."
Or "Time and date has been changed, please hit del enter bios to save settings."  Or "load cmos defaults, press del to enter bios".  And this would occur every time you boot your system. So unless you are getting theses messages during post, your battery is good.

If you are getting these messages once in a while that mean that your battery is low and needs to be replaced. The battery might be leaking, causing corrosion that will cause this problem too.  You would see white powder on  the battery if this was the case.

You can also check your cmos battery with a multimeter.  Even though your motherboard is 1 year old the battery can be depleated from all sorts of reasons.  You can install a new battery yourself.  It is a watch battery the size of a quarter.

Batteries are cheap enough, if in doubt swap it out.

Fatman

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 01:15:10 am »
No problems with the video card as i tried 3 of them. Yes, i am talking about the reset button on the computer case. Yes, i had to reset CMOS to boot before. But now after CMOS Reset + Load Optimized Defaults, it boots well even after shutdown. No problems now.

I hope my motherboard is fine since it is running good now. I will change the battery next week. :-)

When you loaded the optimised default settings did you set your ram voltages etc in Bios? Or leave everything to default?

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 05:36:19 am »

When you loaded the optimised default settings did you set your ram voltages etc in Bios? Or leave everything to default?

It was working fine but i changed RAM settings in Bios from Turbo to Standard.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 10:55:52 am »
Hi

Right a few things to do/check.

Replace motherboard battery (CR2032)

Clear CMOS. Use extended clear by removing battery, press on switch and leave to drain for 5 hours before replacing batter. Then load Optimised BIOS Defaults and save.

Next synchronise the BIOS chips. Follow these instructions:

From a cold start with the power to the machine switched off press the power button and then enter the BIOS by pressing Del. Then when you get to the main screen press F9. This will bring up an extra screen which will display more information about the two BIOS versions. Assuming they are different exit the BIOS and shutdown. Again press the power button and this time press Alt + F12 where you would normally use the Del key to enter the BIOS. You will find that then your monitor will turn black and you will see:

Press [Enter] to start copying main BIOS to backup BIOS...

When you press Enter more text will appear saying:

Writing BIOS image.... xxxKb OK

Once completed  more text will show:

BIOS successfully recovered! Power off or reset system!

Do as it says. Both Main and Backup BIOS chips now store the same BIOS version. You can now reboot as normal.

When you copy the first BIOS image to the second BIOS it also copies the current configuration
 so if you use RAID or something, set it before the copy.  It also copies over any saved profiles too.

Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB