Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P67A-UD3 (B3) changes to BIOS settings lost after power-off (Solved)

I'm mainly posting this thread in the hopes that my experiences with this board may help others who are running into the same issue I've been breaking my head on for the past year orso. While I don't need immediate assistance with this issue anymore (since I've found a workaround), if anyone has any information or suggestions on the underlying cause of the issue or how to resolve it, I'm all ears.

Also for completeness sake I'm going to post the whole story from start to finish, so I'm sorry if it's a bit lengthy:

I bought my P67A-UD3-B3 board, along with an i5 2500k, a Coolermaster Hyper TX3 and 8gb of RAM in April 2011. After the installation I ran some stability tests and everything seemed to be in working order.

A few days later however the first problem cropped up. Occasionally on startup the system would get stuck in a continuous cycle of power-on / power-off / power-on / power-off, aka the infamous boot-loop. When googling for the issue it seemed many people were having the exact same problem with this mobo and the recommended fix was to update the BIOS, so I did. I flashed to the F3 BIOS and as far as I could tell this did indeed resolve the boot-loop issues.

Then a few weeks later, since I was playing a rather CPU-dependant game at the time, I decided to overclock my new CPU to squeeze out some extra performance. This was when my main issue cropped up. I had no problem adjusting the BIOS settings to achieve a stable OC at 4.2ghz (tested with Prime 95 and Intel Burn Test) and it all worked fine as long as the PC kept running - but the moment I turned it off, the next time I turned the system back on I would invariably hit a power-on / power-off / power-on cycle and all the BIOS settings would be reset.

Now at first I didn't realize that the settings had reset and I thought it was a repeat of the boot-loop problems from the earlier BIOS version. It was only after a while that I realized my OC was gone and when checking the BIOS all the settings were back to their defaults. At the time however I chalked this up as a side-effect of the boot-loop issue. I assumed (wrongly) that the F3 BIOS was still somewhat unstable and that I would just have to wait for a newer BIOS version which aimed to fix boot-looping issues related to overclocking.

This reasoning led me up the garden path for well over a year. I did occasionally google for any recent posts regarding my issue, but it seemed very much like I was the only one with the inability to OC without running into a boot-loop at startup. I couldn't find anything remotely recent or akin to my problems, since I was still thinking of it as primarily a Boot issue. I eventually flashed my BIOS to F9 and again after setting any OC, no matter the value, the next time the system was powered on I would run into a power-on / power-off cycle and everything would reset.

At this point I was completely at a loss of what to do and it was only when I was discussing the problem with someone else face-to-face that the realization hit me that all this time I might have been looking at this problem from the wrong angle. What if the boot-cycle wasn't the cause of the issue but rather the symptom? What if the cause was the BIOS being unable to remember the settings, thus causing the boot-loop as a result of having to reset to the defaults? I could almost slap myself for being so stupid.

So I had another go at google with very different search terms this time and while I found a lot of general recommendations it was hard to find anyone with a specific solution and confirmation that it did indeed fix their problem. But then, just as I was close to giving up again, I found a single post buried deep in a general OCing thread somewhere by a guy who said his  problem was caused by changing too many settings at the same time and that he fixed it by only changing one or two settings at a time.

Since his testimony was by far the closest to a scenario of "I had the exact same symptoms and here is how I fixed it" that I could find, I decided to give his solution a try over all of the other general recommendations (which ranged from replacing / reseating the battery to RMA's). So I reset my BIOS to the optimized defaults, restarted, and then set to work changing every setting one at a time, with a full "boot into windows -> shutdown -> power on" cycle in between just to be on the safe side. And the weird thing is that it worked! I set up the same 4.2ghz OC that I'd been testing stable on previously, but couldn't get to stick beyond a power-off and so far I've turned the system off and on again at least 6 times (including one cold boot) and it's still holding. :)

While I don't know enough about motherboards to understand what could be causing the problem that it isn't able to remember the changes of multiple settings at a time, I am really glad that I at least found a solid workaround, even if it took well over a year to do so. As I said at the start of my post, if anyone has any info or suggestions, I'm all ears. If not, I just hope this is useful to someone some day, like that one post by that random person (sadly I don't remember where to find it anymore or who posted it) was to me.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 03:18:06 pm by Amarinth »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-P67A-UD3 (B3) changes to BIOS settings lost after power-off (Solved)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 04:31:55 pm »
Hi and welcome.

I think that this will probably fix your problem but please let me know for sure.

First if you want to save any profile you have already set.

Next from a cold start with the power to the machine switched off press the power button and then enter the BIOS by pressing Del. Then when you get to the main screen press F9. This will bring up an extra screen which will display more information about the two BIOS versions. Assuming they are different exit the BIOS and shutdown. Again press the power button and this time press Alt + F12 where you would normally use the Del key to enter the BIOS. You will find that then your monitor will turn black and you will see:

Press [Enter] to start copying main BIOS to backup BIOS...

When you press Enter more text will appear saying:

Writing BIOS image.... xxxKb OK

Once completed  more text will show:

BIOS successfully recovered! Power off or reset system!

Do as it says. Both Main and Backup BIOS chips now store the same BIOS version. You can now reboot as normal.

When you copy the first BIOS image to the second BIOS it also copies the current configuration
 so if you use RAID or something, set it before the copy.  It also copies over any saved profiles too.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:33:01 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 08:35:32 pm »
First off, thanks for your reply.

I've followed your instructions down to the letter and I'm sad to say they don't resolve my issue at all - in fact they seem to be revealing a major problem with my motherboard.

First of all when I go into my BIOS and press F9 you said I should be seeing the version info of BOTH the main and backup BIOS, but all I see is this:

I did some googling around to find out how it's supposed to look, and I found someone saying that it's supposed to display the main / backup BIOS as something like "F9 / F2". Clearly something is wrong in my case since there is no hint of the version info from the backup BIOS.

It gets worse however, because after the final step of copying the main BIOS settings to the backup BIOS with CTRL + F12, my OC somehow got screwed up again and upon the next startup I received the following error:
"The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes of voltages. Last settings in this page may not coincide with current H/W states."

After restarting and going into the BIOS to check the settings it turned out only the CPU multiplier had reset from 42 back to 33. All the other settings were still the way I put them.

What I don't understand is why an overclock that is otherwise completely stable and has been booting up perfectly fine the last few days would suddenly cause boot failure as a result of a BIOS copy or hard reset - or for that matter why I can't see any of the information from my 2nd BIOS.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:37:07 pm by Amarinth »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 08:47:12 pm »
Hi

Don't get too het up over the BIOS not displaying the version of the Backup chip. This is quite common with the newer boards.

The first thing is that I probably should have said but I thought everyone knew that you should always reset the BIOS to default settings before doing anything like a flash or update etc. It should never be attempted with an overclock in operation.  Try returning the board to it's default standard and then go from there.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 11:12:47 am »
As I said in my OP I"m not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to motherboards.

However I've redone the whole thing, this time reloading the default settings before initiating the BIOS copy with CTRL + F12 - now the first time here it showed just 1 line of "Writing BIOS image.... xxxKb" and then once it was done it said OK and told me to do a hard reset, as you described. But since I was still running the OC profile settings I got the error message afterwards...

This time around however it first showed one line of "Writing BIOS image.... xxxKb" first, then as soon as that completed a 2nd line appeared beneath it again of "Writing BIOS image.... xxxKb" and once that 2nd line neared the end of the copying process (around 4000K) my system spontaneously rebooted. Since I never saw the message telling me it had completed and asking me to reboot manually (it switched itself off before it reached that stage), I suspect the copy to the backup BIOS failed and I'm very hesitant to try it again now.

I still suspect something is broken and not functioning as it should.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:13:45 am by Amarinth »

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 10:24:35 am »
I had a boot failure this morning on the 2nd startup since the failed BIOS copy. I turned the PC on and after a few seconds it shut down again. I had to manually power it on a 2nd time, then it went into a power-on / power-off / power-on cycle and started normally. I am back to running default settings, so setting the OC didn't even come into it this time.