Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z68X-UD3H-B3 UEFI problem (U1h)

ipecek

Z68X-UD3H-B3 UEFI problem (U1h)
« on: September 23, 2012, 08:34:29 am »
Hi everbody,

I have a problem with my motherboard after upgrading to U1h UEFI BIOS.

Problem is that the 2 integrated USB 3.0 ports on the back side are not working anymore (those blue ones). Funny thing is, front panel works just fine.
Device Manager shows only one controller, the other one is missing. Every BIOS setting is fine, tried altering most of them to see if there will be any change, but nothing. Both controllers are turned on.

Tried switching back to the F12 version. Everything works again.
I did all of that more than 2 months ago when the U1h became available on Gigabyte support, reported the problem but there are no updates to U1h available. Switched back to U1h yesterday, same all...

How to solve this issue?

kater

Re: Z68X-UD3H-B3 UEFI problem (U1h)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 06:32:10 am »
Can't help you with that, but will just say this - both blue USB 3.0 on my board (P67A-UD3-B3) also stopped working (actually can't be even seen in the Device manager) when I upgraded to U1h (also a new UEFI for my mobo). When I switched back to F9 the USB 3.0 works. This is only for back sockets - I don't have front panel ones. I think it's just the matter with the first, obviously faulty UEFI for our boards. Also, many other functions didn't work for me, but that's not the subject. GB says they'll be issuing updated, improved UEFI versions, but don't know when.
I5 2400 @ 3,6 GHz 1,1 V + Ninja SCNJ-1000 | GB GA-P67A-UD3-B3 | Elixir 4 x 2 GB | Sapphire HD5850 Xtreme + AC Accelero S1 | Crucial M4 64 GB | WD Blue 500 GB | Asus DVD | SB Audigy2 ZS | S12 II 430W | Antec P150

ipecek

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 09:14:52 am »
So, they've been aware of the problem since the first day UEFI came out, and there is still no updated one available. Nice work Gigabyte

biolco

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 08:22:30 am »
Hi guys, I'm on the same boat then...

I noticed that after uefi bios update, the two usb 3.0 on the rear of the mobo don't work anymore. However, only one controller is visible in the device manger list (probably the one that handles frontal ports and which I don't use).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:51:16 am by biolco »

azo

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 08:10:23 pm »
Hi

I have the same problem and decided to add myself to this post.

Updated to u1h bios, USB3 ports won't function. Reverted back to F12 USb3 function perfectly. Went back to U1H and of course no USB3 ports are working.
I am running Win8 Pro. Device manager only displays one instance of the device instead of two. Of course it says the device is working properly.

If anyone has arrived at a solution please post it.

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 04:55:25 am »
I have the same issue. Flashed to U1h and the two rear (blue) USB3 ports don't work. My front ports won't transfer faster then USB1. Windows 8 Pro shows a graph of the transfer speed of 11mb/s at the start then tanks to 2-4 mb/s.

I am going to flash the F12 and retest the rear ports and transfer speed.

ex58

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 06:50:19 am »
Did you try U1j?

azo

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 07:43:47 pm »
Well no one seems to be to distressed about the outcome of this thread.

I will add my final words. The USB3 controllers on my motherboard are the cause of all my issues and it came to light when I tried adding Hyper-V to my Win 8 Pro install. The system would hang and then I would have to restore it back to pre Hyper-V activation.
After much searching I have found a number of links with the same or related problem.

Here is a link to Microsoft which states that Gigabyte systems have a known issue with the USB3 controller.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2693144

I have reverted back to F12 on my system and my USB3 ports are functioning. However if I want to run Hyper-V I will need to disable the onboard USB3
ports.  To have USB3 ports available for use on either bios version and with Hyper-V installed a purchase of a third party controller is required.

This seems like an unsatisfactory solution considering that the mainboard specs indicate 4 USB3 ports. I have corresponded to Gigabyte support but of course they can't duplicate the problem. They did recommend completing an RMA request but I am hesitant to do this until they admit that there is a known issue to this problem.

I would like to add that my MB serial number starts with 1148 this indicates the year and week of production and I was wondering what production dates other people had, who are experiencing similar issues.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 11:20:32 pm »
I registered just to say this. No, U1h AND U1j (beta) both don't enable the BACK USB 3.0 ports in Windows 8. Windows 7 works, Windows 8 doesn't.
There is power (if you plug a USB flash drive, there is light), but no data (no drive present, and the light doesn't flash to indicate any activity. It is simply power).

azo

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 04:04:32 am »
So there is U1j bios?
I thought that was a spelling mistake. Anyways I experienced periodic cold boot loops when using U1h bios and have decided to stay with the F12 legacy bios.