Official GIGABYTE Forum

Computer won't post when attempting dual channel memory

Computer won't post when attempting dual channel memory
« on: December 12, 2009, 12:17:20 pm »
I have recently upgraded my system, installing the GA-MA790X-UD4P with the AMD Phenom II x2 550 processor. I can't boot my computer when the ram is in dual channel slots, but system runs absolutely fine in single channel. Computer boots in single channels, 1&3 and 2&4 but nothing but a black screen when in 1&2 and 3&4. I hear no beeps because my case has no speaker, although the front LED's on my case seem to beep in this pattern in dual mode ... 1,2,3,4 (short pause) 1,2,3,4 (short pause) 1,2,3,4 (long pause). Thought this might have to do with the beep codes. I have been using this ram in Dual channel for 2 years no problems. Kingston DDR2 KVR800D2N5K2/2G (which is also on the compatibility chart shown in the Gigabyte Mobo manual). I have tried setting the ram to 667 mhz, changing the voltages, clearing cmos, installing 1 stick, booting then shutting down and installing the second. Ive even tried my old DDR2 ram, same make only 667 mhz. Still nothing. Ive tested my ram all to be good, tried all my parts in my secondary computer and all work fine. I have flashed the Bios and updated the Bios to the latest F9. Ive even disconected everything and tried part by part booting up.
 I have never encountered a problem like this before. I have built many PC's with no problems in the past and I'm stumped on this one. Do I have a faulty motherboard? or am I just missing something?

Pottypete

Re: Computer won't post when attempting dual channel memory
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 07:11:37 pm »
Hi
Have you tried mem test on your ram!
Make sure there is no dust/hairs or crud in the slots!
Check the led display code from the manual,
Cheers

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 05:06:27 am »
I appreciate the reply, but Ive already tested my ram with memtest. Slots are all clean and no LED beep codes exist in manual. Only a couple sound beep codes, nothing of which comes close to the LED one.

Pottypete

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 07:32:52 am »
Hi,
Beep codes will show the error,
Can you fit a small speaker on the mobo to get the code?
Heres a list of beep codes,
http://www.5starsupport.com/info/beep_codes.htm
Cheers