Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X79S-UP5 Wifi Overclocking Issues

GA-X79S-UP5 Wifi Overclocking Issues
« on: October 02, 2012, 03:29:24 pm »
Hi all,

I have just built a new PC with a bundle from Scan.co.uk, and as part of the package, they were going to overclock the i7 3930k processor to 4.5ghz.

I received an email a couple of days before the due delivery date to say that all attempts to get 4.5 ghz had failed, and the board kept throttling the CPU back to 4.1ghz. After a few email conversations, they said that the had managed to get a stable 4.2ghz, and were going to ship the board with this setting, to which I agreed.

The only issue is that I have now finished the build, and after testing with various 3D render engines, prime95 and CPU-Z, it appears that there is no overclock on the chip whatsoever. I contacted Scan to ask why this was, and they sent me an automated email with instructions to supposedly enable their OC profile, which were just wrong (they said press F12 to access the profiles, but it appears that in my bios, F12 is print screen).

I couldn't find any more ways to restore a saved profile, and I'm guessing that I may have to try to re-overclock the board myself.

Has anyone heard of any issues relating to this board and over clocking?

The board currently has the F1 BIOS, so I assume that updating the BIOS may make overclocking more stable?

How reliable is the Easytune 6 software for overclocking with the preset settings?

Sorry for the noobish questions in my first post! I'm just a bit stuck, and Scan are now not replying to any of my emails...

Thanks in advance.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-X79S-UP5 Wifi Overclocking Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 08:41:06 pm »
Hi there,

first things first, as you have purchased an O/C'd machine double check your warranty BEFORE you do anything as you may find that you cannot go back to the supplier for a refund or other help if you do anything with the PC from a BIOS tweaking point of view.

That said, it can be very frustrating if said supplier will not respond to your enquiries and you may feel that you stand more chance of improving things with your system if you tweak it and to hell with the suppliers warranty.

Basically with your motherboard you need to go into the Save & Exit page of BIOS and there you should be able to load any saved profiles that are stored and this would be my first port of call as this is what you have been advised to do by the supplier.

I cannot recommend the use of EasyTune and if you are looking for a stable and more reliable O/C then you would be better off making the adjustments yourself rather than relying on it.

Updating the BIOS is something that I would have done before I tried to O/C the board and I have to wonder why this hasn't been done by the supplier, especially as the F2 BIOS was released to improve CPU compatibility and the F4b BETA BIOS is to help with CPU temperature reading accuracy. But hey, what do I know.

So, to sum up, you could lose any warranty/help from the supplier if you tweak the board yourself and only you can decide if that is the path you want to take. If you don't double check for the BIOS Profile where I mentioned earlier and see if that helps.

If you do want to tweak the system yourself then, updating BIOS using QFlash, would be the best first step - DO NOT use @BIOS to update the BIOS. Check here for more info about updating BIOS using QFlash if you are not sure how to do it: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.0.html
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Re: GA-X79S-UP5 Wifi Overclocking Issues
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 09:35:48 am »
Thanks for the help.

I am also unsure as to why the F2 bios wasn't installed when they initially had issues overclocking the bundle. Scan did email me back last night with some fairly long winded instructions to access the saved profile, but while there seem to be 2 saved profiles there, neither of them are overclocked, or named how Scan told me they would be (i.e. 3XS OC Profile).

It's good to know about the use of QFlash instead of @Bios - I will bear that in mind if that's the course I decide to take.

I will contact Scan again to see what can be done, but I'm not holding out much hope of a helpful response - Their service has been pretty shoddy to be honest, and I won't be using them again. :(

Thanks for all the info - it's very much appreciated!