Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-990FXA-UD5, F10b BIOS

blinko

GA-990FXA-UD5, F10b BIOS
« on: October 12, 2012, 02:05:05 am »
I'm sorry if there's another place to post feedback for the developers that I'm not aware of, but since flashing the F10b beta BIOS in July, resuming from suspend has become very flaky and results in a crash, requiring a hard restart about a quarter of the time. It looks like a typical RAM crash; the system gets power but the LEDs on the keyboard go into endless blink, and the video card doesn't post a signal. Nothing is overclocked, the BIOS is handling all voltages automatically, and I've adjusted the RAM settings both up and down with no effect on the frequency of the issue. System performance and stability are otherwise not negatively affected. I experienced no crashes when resuming from suspend while using BIOS F9.

Please be aware, I'm neither seeking advice nor submitting a complaint, just relaying my experience in hopes it might be useful in identifying a potentially unresolved issue.

Hardware: 
    GA-990FXA-UD5
    AMD 955BE
    4 x 4GB DDR3 PC12800
    OCZ Solid3 SSD, in AHCI on SB950 controller

Linux Kernel 3.4.10
The logs show nothing special after the suspend, as if I'd just cut the power while it was suspended.

Needless to say, I appreciate the excellent work thus far and look forward to its official release.

Re: GA-990FXA-UD5, F10b BIOS
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 05:25:23 am »
Hi :)

Go to the power options in the control panel, change plan settings > change advanced power settings. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable', disable hybrid sleep then reboot.

Once back to the desktop, run the command prompt 'as Admin' and run this command if you want to remove the 2-8gb hyberfile.sys file.

"powercfg.exe hibernate off"

blinko

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 09:51:45 pm »
Wrong thread, or are you suggesting I install Windows and try this again?
Thanks for taking the time to reply, though.  ;)

BIOS flashed to F11a, resume from suspend issue appears to be resolved.

As a besides, the Marvell 88SE9172 Controller DMA Remapping issue while IOMMU is enabled still persists with fw F11a.
Basically, anything attached to the Marvell controller is unavailable while IOMMU is disabled, which has been an awful pain in the ass since I'm sharing volume groups I would normally use during virtualization across drives on both controllers, and a new controller would cost the same as this mother board to fix the issue.

Do good things come to those who wait, or has my patience only been despair disguised as a virtue?

dmesg:  AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT device=07:00.1 domain=0x0000 address=0x0000000000040440 flags=0x0070]
lspci:  07:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 9172 (rev 11)

For anyone else having this problem, it seems to be a larger issue with Marvell's 88SE91xx chipsets misreporting their BDF, and I believe a patch has been added to the 3.5.5 kernel recently.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 02:42:30 am »
I guess I should have taken more time to explain lol..

What you described is a known Windows 7 glitch when hybrid sleep is enabled. You do not need to redo Windows and as far as I know, this does not affect the normal sleep/ suspend modes.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 02:43:22 am by Hippie Tech »