Official GIGABYTE Forum

Can't get same multiplier on BIOS anymore, but I can with Easytune

Hi Guys.

I have a 3770K with a 212 Evo, in a Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H, rev 1.0 (bios F13 version - the latest version), in a Win 7 64bits SP1. I also have 32Gb of RAM G.Skill Ripjaws-Z 10-10-10-30 1600Mhz (XMP profile, 1.5V stock), a 128Gb Samsung 830 SSD, 4 Aerocool case fans, and PSU is a Seasonic 620W S12II 80+.

I was running my 3770 stable at 3.9Ghz so I decided to rise the multiplier. My motherboard does not have any CPU voltage change option, so I have to stick with auto. First I raised the turbo multiplier to x42 = 4.2Ghz (all made in bios). No problems, intelburntest ok, stable and low temps for 15min. Then I raised to 4.5Ghz and was running ok also when a black screen appeared and the system crashed after another 15min. Now it wouldn't boot anymore (no beepsound, only black screen) and I had to short the CMOS jumper to go back to default options.

So, I turned off turbo bosting and tried with multiplier x42 but it wouldn't boot also (it keeps rebooting automatically, beeping each time). So I lowered again to x39 and it booted normally again. Rised again to x42, same problem, doesn't boot. Lowered to 4,1Ghz and it worked ok.

I ran Prime95, at 4.1Ghz for several hours and it was perfectly ok, with mas temps around 68°C. I tried to take out the mobo battery for 30min, put it back again, but the problem persists: I can't go beyong the 4.1Ghz limit anymore at BIOS.

I was able to increase the multiplier via Easytune6, tough. I am currently running at 4.3Ghz, several hours of Prime95 and Aida64 with zero problems. I was at 4.4Ghz but it crashed after 30minutes, so I went back and stick with 4.3Ghz.

I would still like to reach 4.3Ghz at BIOS, but it looks like my MB aquired some kind of memory and it won't allow me go past 4.1Ghz anymore. I tried to reflash the BIOS with the latest version again (F13) but I couldn't set it more than x41 again. Almost as if the mobo had learned something (and doesn't erase this "memory" with CMOS reset). Does anyone knows what is happening with my configuration and how can I reach higher multipliers at BIOS again?

Screenshot at 4.3Ghz under full load:

Thanks