Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z77X-D3H: (VIA) USB Controller Driver Problem

Kakkun

Z77X-D3H: (VIA) USB Controller Driver Problem
« on: October 13, 2012, 07:34:04 pm »
Hello, this is my first post and I do hope someone will be able to help me. I've recently built a PC and I'm having a few issues:

In summary, some of my USBs at the back of the computer do not work, I believe the VIA Chipset USBs aren't working (the Upper ones are however functioning - think they're Intel): when I plugged my microphone into the VIA USBs the light came on but there was no USB Noise or any other recognition of it. I've also tried a USB storage device but again no noise of recognition was heard (not sure the light was on either). I've not tried the Ethernet port but that's not my main concern although it would be nice to get rid of all those exclamation marks (as seen below on the Device Manager window).

Here are some of my specs:-
RAM: Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
Processor: Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K
BIOS Version: F15

This is what my Device Manager looks like:

And when I scan for hardware changes, it attempts to install the drivers but fails:

I've scoured various sources, updated the BIOS and scared myself! As after it had finished updating it prompted "No operating system found" and after a reboot it loaded Windows fine (very odd!). I confirmed with CPU Z that it had updated the motherboard fine.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to update the VIA USB drivers; so I've tried to install the drivers found on the Gigabyte Downloads page for my motherboard. And unfortunately this occurs:
Unfortunately this happens on two other sources where I had found a VIA driver.

I've tried to install it in Safe Mode but an error 1607 occurs after that and I've tried to install it after a "Clean Boot". Still no avail, I've made sure I've right clicked Run as Admin on all occasions and I just can't get it working (please note: I am the only User on this computer). I've checked that my Install Service is functioning and it is and my Windows Update is fully up to date.

I've read something about how Windows having some issues with drivers when a is USB being plugged in when the machine is booted up for the first time, but I don't believe I used the VIA USB ports for my mouse, if that would be an issue?

I hope that this post is alright, I did look through the forums to see if there was any similar issues but none seem to describe the 1608 error that I'm getting. I realise that this may be more of a OS issue but I've yet to tackle the problem of the Ethernet or SM Bus Controller and am very open to suggestions. If anyone requires additional information, I will happily comply.

Many thanks!

Re: Z77X-D3H: (VIA) USB Controller Driver Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 08:19:43 pm »
Tried the one on the CD? Maybe an anti virus causing the error?

I haven't had any problems installing the drivers myself but I am having problems getting the VIA ports to work since updating Windows 7 to the latest version. The drivers seem really flaky.

Kakkun

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 08:40:40 pm »
Thanks! I just popped in the CD just then and it's removed the exclamation marks on THREE of them except one USB Controller which remains stubborn. Sadly though, despite eliminating one USB Controller, the USBs around the back still don't seem to work :(!

And disabling the Anti Virus didn't solve it i'm afraid. Cheers for trying though.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 05:26:33 am »
Yeah I had this problem originally too. Make sure you have BOTH of your Intel USB 3.0 ports plugged in FIRST, and ONLY the Intel USB 3.0 ports used, then install the VIA USB 3.0 drivers from Gigabyte's website. You might have to go as far as having these two Intel USB 3.0 ports populated before you turn on the computer (from a cold boot), and you may need to uninstall and reinstall the VIA drivers.

If none of that works, see the information in this post: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,9959.msg74921.html#msg74921

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 05:30:27 am by generalmx »

ysw521

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 03:18:35 am »
maybe you should send your board to Gigabyte RMA to check.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 02:38:28 pm »
Hi

In Device Manager right click on the offending entry and click uninstall. After that has completed go up to the top and click the Actiontab. Select Scan for hardware changes and see if it finds anything. If it does point it to the latest version of the drivers you have downloaded from Gigabyte's site. If it doesn't find anything it was just an erroneous entry.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 02:39:14 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Kakkun

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 10:55:49 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys:

@generalmx:
Your post was one of the first I referred to but what stopped me from replying to your thread was that there was a slight difference in Motherboard name (UD3H) and I wasn't suffering from BSODs =x. But I have read through it again since and I reckon I should try your idea about cold booting first; if you could clarify, what do you mean by populating the Intel USBs?

I have been desperately trying to uninstall the VIA drivers (so that I can reinstall them) but I can't seem to find a way to do that! Whenever I fire up the Utility CD from Gigabyte it says the VIA Drivers are installed, but there's no mention of it in the Device Driver or in Control Panel. There are a few "USB Root Hubs" and "Generic USB Hub" around but nothing obvious like "VIA USB 3.0 Controller". But like I mentioned, whether from the CD (when selecting individual drivers) or downloading the driver from the Gigabyte site, it brings up an annoying 1608 error that stops me from installing.

So I tried to repair Windows, because I felt it was the only way to possibly get rid of that Installshield Error and alas the error still remains even after. Are those websites saying "1608 Fixes - download now" (e.g. error1608.com), dodgy? Because the comments on those websites seem -very- generic and were only made within the last few days. And the URL of the site sounds suspicious.

@ysw521:
I would like to try a few more steps before sending something back such as maybe the suggested (http://forums.tweaktown.com/windows/48643-windows-7-problem-usb-3-0-part-5-rollin-news.html);- and mostly because it took me a whole day to figure out how to put things together (my first build haha)!

@Dark Mantis
Hello, thanks for the suggestion but I've tried that many many times; it simply shows "no driver found" as shown on the second screenshot on my first post but showing only the USB Controller (as it's the only problem now > <). And because I can't install it manually with the whole 1608 issue, it leaves me with little choice.

Many thanks again, appreciate your efforts!

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 01:41:29 am »
There is a bug somewhere (supposedly in either VIA's drivers or Windows handling of XHCI as this was supposedly fixed in Windows 8) that requires you to plug USB devices first into at least one of the Intel USB 3.0 slots on your motherboard BEFORE you use the VIA USB 3.0 slots. Looking at the specs our motherboards are nearly identical. From the specs for YOUR motherboard:

---------------------
Chipset:

Up to 4 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB headers)
    * In Windows XP, the Intel USB 3.0 ports can support up to USB 2.0 transfer speed.
    Up to 6 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)

VIA VL800 chip:

Up to 4 USB 3.0/2.0 ports on the back panel
    * Due to a Windows 7 limitation, please connect your USB device(s) to the USB 2.0/1.1 port(s) before the VIA USB 3.0 controller driver is installed.
---------------------

Note it says you need to connect to the USB 2.0 ports...I thought it was USB 3.0, but I'd try the USB 2.0 ports then the USB 3.0.

Wentworth

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 10:28:57 pm »
Good afternoon

Microsoft has recongnized that Windows 7 creates problems that XP do not have for USB 3.0 working in parallel with Intel USB chipset.  Please refer to the following address to obtain all you need on the subject.  http://www.metacrawler.com/search/web?fcoid=417&fcop=topnav&fpid=27&q=%22Windows+7+PROBLEM+with+USB+3.0%22&ql=

The best links pretends to Windows 7 PROBLEM with USB 3.0 (part one, two, three, four).  Use the cnet links because the text is better formatted.

VIA has worked intensively on the problem for a year and have produced both Firmware and drivers for both the Hub Controler and the USB itself, you can find them at the following address : http://www.via-labs.com/en/support/downloads.jsp#hostdriver

Please read the material first, so you will have a better comprehension of the extend of this particular problem before undating the Firmware and drivers.

Because this is a OS problem, you may encounter problems along the way, it seems that Windows 8 has solved the problem but a fix will be available for Windows 7 in a short while.

Hope this will help.

Cheers

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 03:16:35 am »
I had the same problem but fixed it! now all my USB ports are working!
uninstall the previous driver with error.
you just have to make all the back USB Ports in use with input devices!
go to http://www.via-labs.com/en/support/downloads.jsp#hostdriver
and download and install this one : VL800/801 & 805/806 USB 3.0 Host Controller – Driver 1.90A !
every thing will work now! :D

Kakkun

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 01:37:57 pm »
Hello, thank you for your reply. And I'm glad that you got it working :). Can I just quickly ask which of the USBs you actually made in use? All 8 of them at the back or just the VIA ones?

If it's all 8, it sounds like a little much!

Awaiting your reply :).

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 09:40:26 am »
8 is alot! just the VIA ones! I used 3 mouse,a webcam,a key board,my phone.
make all the VIA ports in use then install the drivers I mentioned in the previous post!

Kakkun

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 05:33:41 pm »
Sadly, I'm getting the same InstallShield Error (1608) when trying to install the VIA Driver that you linked. Thanks again for your help though, can't see a solution without having to reinstall Windows (although I had tried prior).

But I noticed a symptom, my phone was briefly connected and recognised via the VIA USB during boot up but went away after a few seconds. Prior to the desktop.

Wentworth

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 09:08:51 pm »
Dear Kakkun

Unfortunately someone has tampered with my text and it is not true that Windows 8 has solved the problem on the contrary it has made things worst with the Via USB chipset.  Windows 7 uses the very same driver as XP does if you installed the 32bits version.

Once again, the USB is a hardware problem, please refer to your manual, the USB is using (as it should be) a PCI-E 1x slot, so please if you have a card installed in one of the PCI-E 1x slot, move it to another.

Wentworth

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 09:09:56 pm »