Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z77X-D3H: (VIA) USB Controller Driver Problem

Re: Z77X-D3H: (VIA) USB Controller Driver Problem
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 08:13:11 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys:

@generalmx:
Your post was one of the first I referred to but what stopped me from replying to your thread was that there was a slight difference in Motherboard name (UD3H) and I wasn't suffering from BSODs =x. But I have read through it again since and I reckon I should try your idea about cold booting first; if you could clarify, what do you mean by populating the Intel USBs?

I have been desperately trying to uninstall the VIA drivers (so that I can reinstall them) but I can't seem to find a way to do that! Whenever I fire up the Utility CD from Gigabyte it says the VIA Drivers are installed, but there's no mention of it in the Device Driver or in Control Panel. There are a few "USB Root Hubs" and "Generic USB Hub" around but nothing obvious like "VIA USB 3.0 Controller". But like I mentioned, whether from the CD (when selecting individual drivers) or downloading the driver from the Gigabyte site, it brings up an annoying 1608 error that stops me from installing.

So I tried to repair Windows, because I felt it was the only way to possibly get rid of that Installshield Error and alas the error still remains even after. Are those websites saying "1608 Fixes - download now" (e.g. error1608.com), dodgy? Because the comments on those websites seem -very- generic and were only made within the last few days. And the URL of the site sounds suspicious.

@ysw521:
I would like to try a few more steps before sending something back such as maybe the suggested (http://forums.tweaktown.com/windows/48643-windows-7-problem-usb-3-0-part-5-rollin-news.html);- and mostly because it took me a whole day to figure out how to put things together (my first build haha)!

@Dark Mantis
Hello, thanks for the suggestion but I've tried that many many times; it simply shows "no driver found" as shown on the second screenshot on my first post but showing only the USB Controller (as it's the only problem now > <). And because I can't install it manually with the whole 1608 issue, it leaves me with little choice.

Many thanks again, appreciate your efforts!

Dunno if you have found a solution, probably you did out of nowhere at least cause it has some luck involved. I had the same problem but managed to debug it with multiple trial and error steps, with your pos being very helpfull due to the post where all worked when all devices was occupying the USB 3.0 hubs.

Here how it goes.

A typical cleaning for dust inside my machine ended with all USB 3.0 hubs not working and being dead. Except offcourse the 2 intel USB 3.0 ones. Front ones working also good.
My ud3h z77x looked silly!!
After researching the issue i couldnt find a clear solution and the issue was for Windows 7 64 bit in General and via chipset not just my MB.
All different drivers wasnt working even after the unsuccesfull uninstall of the via drivers which was already installed but not working.

My steps in order to fix it.

-Remove Via ussb 3.0 from device manager
-Uninstall Via drivers even if it ends being unsuccesfull. From add remove programs
-Download the latest drivers from http://www.via-labs.com/en/support/downloads.jsp#hostdriver

-Equip all 6 USB 3.0 ports intel and via ones with working devices like USB sticks-hard drives-mices-keyboards-open printers-mobile phones. Mouse and Keyboard to intel hubs (next to lan)ones so you can use your computer. 4 via hubs wont be working after the reboot.
-Shutdown Pc. Take power cable OFF after using power safety to 0 on your power unit.
-Put power on again and turn switch to 1. Start you computer.
In device manager you should now be able to see the via controller which wont be working tho. Remember it was dead with no signs till this reboot and thats why nothing was working on it.
-Run the setup program of the drivers you downloaded(it took me 1hour-blame europe to china Lines i guess!) and everything will be working.
-From now on you can change devices from via to intel and vice versa and all will be detected and working at once.

Problem seems to be some power issue after you have removed power cable from your power unit. If i recall i did it before cleaning computer without turning safety to 0 so i might cause a small short circuit - WHO knows. Or might was when i put it back on initially after the cleaning.

Maybe you dont need to do all the uninstall reinstall drivers, occupy all USB slots with something. Just do the power off step and it might work.

In any case this whole process should work cause it is a short circuit which causes Via hubs to be dead.

Feel Free to ask here or tweet me @senios7 any misunderstandings or issues
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:03:48 pm by senios7 »