Official GIGABYTE Forum

No post screen after enabling secure boot (win8.1 watermark)

Yoda99

No post screen after enabling secure boot (win8.1 watermark)
« on: October 20, 2013, 10:23:16 pm »
I enabled secure boot and generated keys for my ga-p61a-d2 rev2.0 because windows 8.1 gave me the 'secure boot ist configured correctly' watermark.

When clicking save & exit the monitor just went black. The system didnt reboot like usual. I hard-resetted but the screen didnt show post. I disconnected it from the AC, pulled the CMOS battery and did clear-cmos. No luck, it just keeps giving me black screen on boot. I get no beeps or errorsounds, and the HD-led on the front pannel does two short blinks every two seconds. I wonder if it isnt just sitting there on the windows login screen, just not outputting to the graphics card over DVI.

When i press the power button when its just sitting there powered on it doesnt do anything. I have to press it really long to force shutdown. If it were to hang pre-windows shouldnt it power down immediately on pressing? Making me believe even more its just not outputting through the graphics card.

The mobo doesnt have an integrated VGA chipset so i guess there's no way for me to check. Any suggestions on how to unbrick it? Before my secureboot adventures all was fine with the pc.

This topic has been helpfull but the solutions require an integrated VGA-chipset: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,13202.0.html
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:26:50 pm by Yoda99 »

Yoda99

Re: No post screen after enabling secure boot (win8.1 watermark)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 10:41:24 pm »
Okay, this is a bit embarassing finding the  solution after just posting a help request :-)  But I'll leave it here in case others f*** up like me :)

I booted into the backup-bios:
- pc i powered off
- booted by holding the powerbutton during boot, you then actually power it back off again because you are holding the button.
- pressed the powerbutton to boot it up again, but now you switched to the backupbios
- backup bios does some repairing magic on the main bios

Booted into main bios, loaded optimized defaults and was back into windows.

The secureboot watermark is still there but I think i'll just leave that there now :-)

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 10:18:44 am »
same thing happen to me ...  but heres how to get rid

Please go to BIOS Setup\BIOS Feature\Secure Boot Mode set to Custom.
Then you will see “key management” option.

Press enter into key management to set “default key provisioning” to enabled.
Save and exit.

Go into Win8.1 and it will not show “win8.1 secure boot isn’t configured correctly

the mistake you made was to load defult keys ...  do not do that part just the rest

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:38:28 am »
Ok HOLD THAT for a min

Ok just found out that the first boot up was good and well

However the 2rd time I tried to do a boot up ..the motherboard would not post ..  I had to force start the back up bios ... 

so it didn't work well after all

hisham

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 04:01:32 pm »
I'm having the same problem with Z77 UD5H F16 beta bios, used back up bios to boot again with F14

hisham

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 11:23:34 pm »
Just update my  Asus GTX680's bios to support UEFI and the watermark is gone  ;D using F16 beta bios