Official GIGABYTE Forum

BIOS Recovery Startup Sequence

BIOS Recovery Startup Sequence
« on: October 20, 2012, 03:59:26 am »
Hi all,
       I think I've had my bios corrupted by a virus... :(     This is very sad news.....    Once upon a time (about 6 months ago) I accidentally flashed my bios  and someone (Darkshadow?) posted me a startup sequence that involved power down and power up with power button held in for five seconds and a then some other (1 or two ) steps...this worked wonders....could someone please repost this sequence for me as I think (?HOPE?) that it will once again save my bacon...   the motherboard isn S-Series GA-M720-US3   

Thanks in advance

BlueWolf ???
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 04:01:21 am by BlueWolf »

Re: BIOS Recovery Startup Sequence
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 04:10:04 am »
Hi all again,,,, and it was Dark Mantis who helped out last time :)
I found the old post and tried the sequence ... to no avail...now when I try to boot up I get the Gigabyte screen...then the cooling fan speeds up noticeably.................. and nothing else changes...I can't get past the Gigabyte welcome screen no matter what I try... any suggestions would be much appreciated...

Also it might help to know... the sequence provided to me last time was ... "shutting down the PSU from the wall, then hold down your case power button in and then turn on the power supply button, a few seconds later the board will start, shut off the power supply then.   Then you can turn on the power supply again and power up the board normally and DualBIOS will kick in."

When I tried it this time the board did not start after a few seconds so maybe the problem is something else???
:)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 04:30:26 am by BlueWolf »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 09:20:08 am »
Hi again BlueWolf,

It could of course be a hardware fault unlike last time. I think a little more info might help. Have you tested the PSU to see if it is still working ?

What exactly happens when you try to start the machine ?

What beep code is made ?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 05:33:37 am »
Hi Dark Mantis,
             Thanks again for your help...the beep code was standard one beep on startup...the problems got worse and then better...for a while the only on screen action was a cursor...then I could get to the Bios screen but the characters were garbled and the screen layout very wrong...I played with powerup and supply button sequences and finally managed to be able to load fail safes...then I got a strange character with a numerical figure ...I couldn't use the startup sequence you'd given me before because when I disconnected PSU from wall and then pressed the power button on my case it fired over before I could turn the psu button on at the back...I was very worried then finally somehow it booted to the point that I was provided with NTLDR missing which was such a relief...'now all I need to do is reinstall windows and I'll be fine I thought to myself"...inserted windows disk and thought...I'll give it one more go...and everything was sweet...no hassles ... I've rebooted a 1/2 dozen times no with no issues.....veeerrryyy strange...maybe the universe was just testing my tenacity?? Who knows but anyway thanks again for responding..

Cheers

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 08:53:40 pm »
Well I can't really explain what happened but at least everything seems to be working alright now. I would guess that it was something to do with the power supply but that is only a guess!
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB