Official GIGABYTE Forum

No visual using 990FXA-UD5

bob

No visual using 990FXA-UD5
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:56:31 am »
Hello there,

I wonder if someone could help me please. I've just bought components for a new build comprising of the following:

Bulldozer 8150, 990FXA-UD5, 32Gb (4 x 8Gb) Crucial DDR3 PC1333, 2 x 3TB HDD (Samsung), 2 x VTX 3D HD6670 (Crossfire), EZCool 700W PSU, GIGABYTE Water Cooling Kit.

I have installed all the components into this motherboard but I am not getting a visual from it.  As the new hdd has no operating system installed, when I switch it on, I can hear it boot up without any bios alerts but I get no visual from the graphics. I have tried to connect VGA, DVI and HDMI on each of the two cards. I have taken out 16gb of memory so that there are only 2 channels active leaving 16gb to run. I have also taken 1 graphics card out to make sure that wasn't the fault but nothing.
I'm not sure what is wrong, please could someone advise as to what needs to be done so that I can actually see something on the screen.

autotech

Re: No visual using 990FXA-UD5
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 01:35:35 am »
Install an operating system, without an OS you have no drivers.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

bob

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 01:57:04 am »

Hi,

When I boot up the computer, I get no visual whatsoever, so I can put the Win 7 install DVD in but I won't be able to see what to do. Any help please?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 06:42:38 am »
Hi Bob,

my first thoughts are that it could be a BIOS issue.
Did you connect a motherboard speaker when you did the build?
If you did what beeps are you getting from it?
If you didn't connect a speaker then you won't hear any sounds as the motherboard doesn't have a built in one so the first step would be to add one so you can hear the POST beeps. If everything is OK then there should be just one short beep.

If you are getting the single beep then the problem is probably not down to BIOS and the next step would be to remove the motherboard from the PC case and do a simple build on a cardboard box to test things. If you're not sure how to do this check here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,5704.msg45814.html#msg45814 where I go through the process and also in this review there is a lot more info about the GA-990FXA-UD5 which might help

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

bob

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 01:12:36 pm »
Hi Bob,

my first thoughts are that it could be a BIOS issue.
Did you connect a motherboard speaker when you did the build?
If you did what beeps are you getting from it?
If you didn't connect a speaker then you won't hear any sounds as the motherboard doesn't have a built in one so the first step would be to add one so you can hear the POST beeps. If everything is OK then there should be just one short beep.

If you are getting the single beep then the problem is probably not down to BIOS and the next step would be to remove the motherboard from the PC case and do a simple build on a cardboard box to test things. If you're not sure how to do this check here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,5704.msg45814.html#msg45814 where I go through the process and also in this review there is a lot more info about the GA-990FXA-UD5 which might help

Hi,
I've connected a speaker to the board but no beeps at all?!
Any ideas?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 01:48:51 pm »
Double check that you have connected the speaker correctly as you really should be getting some sort of beep(s).
As a test remove all components from the motherboard except for the CPU and try to start the PC, if the motherboard speaker is working properly you should get error beeps.

If you do great you can then start to troubleshoot further.

If you still don't get any beeps then there could be a problem with the motherboard speaker or the motherboard itself. If this is the case then try a different motherboard speaker, I use a cheap test kit from Maplins ( http://www.maplin.co.uk/motherboard-testing-switch-set-98842 ) when trying to troubleshoot these kind of issues.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

bob

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 10:09:41 pm »
Double check that you have connected the speaker correctly as you really should be getting some sort of beep(s).
As a test remove all components from the motherboard except for the CPU and try to start the PC, if the motherboard speaker is working properly you should get error beeps.

If you do great you can then start to troubleshoot further.

If you still don't get any beeps then there could be a problem with the motherboard speaker or the motherboard itself. If this is the case then try a different motherboard speaker, I use a cheap test kit from Maplins ( http://www.maplin.co.uk/motherboard-testing-switch-set-98842 ) when trying to troubleshoot these kind of issues.

Hi Absic,

Ok, I've taken out the memory and anything else, except for the cpu and nothing, no sounds no nothing. I bought the board from Amazon, would it be better to return this and get a new board or have someone else look at it?

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 04:00:03 am »

LOL, are you serious? How would you configure the BIOS then?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 07:22:43 am »
Hi Bob,

it seems strange that you are getting nothing from the Mobo and I personally, have never had a dead board from Gigabyte. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen just that it is rare.

If you have someone that you trust to look at your components and help you then obviously that would be useful as you may have possibly missed something, when you put things together or during your troubleshooting. I know as I have done this myself.

The only advice I can offer here is to double check that you have connected all of the power leads to the motherboard correctly especially the 8 pin near the CPU socket. Check that you haven't connected a power lead for a GPU here by mistake. Also double check that the basic components (CPU, cooler, one stick of RAM and the GPU) are mounted properly and that your motherboard speaker is working OK.

The only other option will be to RMA the board and get a replacement as this would eliminate the board as the cause of the problem.

bob

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 03:16:11 am »
Hi Bob,

it seems strange that you are getting nothing from the Mobo and I personally, have never had a dead board from Gigabyte. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen just that it is rare.

If you have someone that you trust to look at your components and help you then obviously that would be useful as you may have possibly missed something, when you put things together or during your troubleshooting. I know as I have done this myself.

The only advice I can offer here is to double check that you have connected all of the power leads to the motherboard correctly especially the 8 pin near the CPU socket. Check that you haven't connected a power lead for a GPU here by mistake. Also double check that the basic components (CPU, cooler, one stick of RAM and the GPU) are mounted properly and that your motherboard speaker is working OK.

The only other option will be to RMA the board and get a replacement as this would eliminate the board as the cause of the problem.

Hey,

I figured it out mate, there was a fault with the PSU's 8pin ATX12V...just took it to the shop and he exchanged it and now everything's running really smoothly!
Thank you ever so much for the help by the way, much appreciated!

Cheers.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 06:59:23 am »
Pleased you got it sorted and also that it wasn't a motherboard issue. Hopefully, you can now enjoy your new build with no further problems. :P