Official GIGABYTE Forum

P55A-UD3 ver1.0 XP SP3 AHCI drivers install help

KLund1

P55A-UD3 ver1.0 XP SP3 AHCI drivers install help
« on: October 28, 2012, 01:03:35 am »
I have XP SP3 32bit working just the way I like it. All my apps, settings are prefect. So I do not want to reinstall XP to get the AHCI drivers installed with F6 during the XP setup process. My motherboard is currently set in IDE mode. I would like to add an SSD drive and they do not like IDE mode. below is a snip from my mobo driver page. How do I know if the intel drivers install properly (I do not use the marvelll connections on the mobo). I do not want to change the BIOS to AHCI and destroy my XP install just see if they work. The main reason I want to change to AHCI is I want to multiboot win7, with XP using the ssd.
I'm sure this is covered in general elsewhere here, but I was looking for board specific input.
Any help, suggestions or input would be most appreciated.
Thanks

Edit:
When I try install the Intel AHCI driver, I get an error "Computer does not meet minimum requirements for this installing this software" I'm logged in to a Admin account.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 01:20:49 am by KLund1 »

Re: P55A-UD3 ver1.0 XP SP3 AHCI drivers install help
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 11:50:14 am »
Here's what I found at tom's hardware.

Code: [Select]
sminlal wrote :

I've posted these instructions for other people who say it worked for them:

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
6) Shut down
7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them.

Although if you want the most speed, you'll need to install xp on the ssd.  I think you can clone the hdd to the ssd room permitting.  Make sure you get cloning software that supports SSDs as they need partition aligning.

-=-Mark=-

ps. make sure you backup and do a system restore so you can revert back to your old boot.  It is possible you can bork your drive if you're not careful.
Lian-Li PC-Q06 GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A8-3870K 8GB (2x4GB) G. Skill DDR3-1866 CL8 HD 6550D Antec 450 Platinum (EA-450)

Danger Den Torture Rack Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 i7-2600K 4GB (2 x 2GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 XFX 6870 Double-D Sparkle 700Watt 80Plus Platin