Official GIGABYTE Forum

Will you be upgrading to Windows 8?

Will you be upgrading to Windows 8?
« on: November 09, 2012, 09:28:38 am »
Hi everyone!

Well, just wondering what everyone here thinks of the new Windows 8...

I have test driven it now for several months and find it interesting, but I am not sure if I would like to upgrade my personal computer to use Windows 8 permenently.

Anyone have any specific ideas, suggestions, comments, advice, etc. on Windows 8?

I wish I could create a post here that enables people to vote on Windows 8!

How about choose an option?

Yes, I'm already running it!       
Yes, I will be installing it soon.    
Yes, I will be buying it before the end of the year       
I'm on the fence       
No, I'll be sticking with Windows 7       
No, I'll be sticking with Windows XP       
No, I'll be sticking with Windows Vista       
No, I'll be sticking with Mac OS!       
No, I'll be sticking with ________________.

I am trying to get more input from people so I may make a more educated decision.

Soar

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:30:13 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

Ben

Re: Will you be upgrading to Windows 8?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 09:42:59 am »
G'Day

I am now the proud owner of win8, but what a journey it has been, if you have read my previous posts you may understand.

Still using it & I really like it, even if they moved the start button, (why?) seems pointless, the only difference is I move the mouse to the right instead of the left, 'it's just a jump to the right',  song there somewhere.

Ben.
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Ripjaws X 2@8GB XL (1.7V)
Kingston Blu Hyper 2@2GB (1.7V)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case
Noctua air cooling (4 fans)
AOC 27'
Win 8 pro Full

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 10:01:24 am »
G'Day

I am now the proud owner of win8, but what a journey it has been, if you have read my previous posts you may understand.

Still using it & I really like it, even if they moved the start button, (why?) seems pointless, the only difference is I move the mouse to the right instead of the left, 'it's just a jump to the right',  song there somewhere.

Ben.

Ben,

Nice to hear you like Windows 8 and are happy with it.

I have been "test driving" Windows 8 for several months and have found it to be quite interesting!

Soar
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 10:02:43 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 10:08:16 am »
Hi everyone,

Personally I will be sticking to Windows 7 for now at least. Win 8 is fine for phones and pads etc but is not really geared up towards the PC. I can understand Micro$oft wanting to move everyone to one OS but that is the point I feel, different systems require different OSes.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 12:08:39 pm »
Well I for one have switched to Windows 8 and generally I am more than pleased with the move. Yes, it has taken a little getting used to but in many areas it seems much quicker and more responsive with my hardware than Windows 7.

Also, if you are running an FX processor or similar from AMD then Windows 8 is a vast improvement over 7 and the info I am getting is that things seem to be handled better when it comes to utilising these processors as Microsoft has addressed the software issues that were present in previous Windows version when these CPUs came along.

USB3 is also handled in a better way than previous versions of Windows and I have also noticed other little things that just work better in Windows 8.

Yes, there are a few issues with certain software that I cannot run but, I expect these to be resolved as Windows 8 becomes more established and I remember facing similar problems when Windows 7 came along. It always seems that certain hardware & software producers are not as sharp as they could be when a new OS comes out despite the advanced warnings that they have.

Overall, I give Windows 8 a big thumbs up, which is not what I was thinking when I tried the pre-release versions. Yes, I have had to add a couple of tweaks, such as adding a restart and shutdown short cut to my taskbar to make things a little easier in this area. With a dual monitor set-up the Metro interface is not so annoying but, once again, if you don't like this feature at start-up you can add a tweak to remove it so you go straight to your desktop which, once there, looks almost identical to Windows 7

Another deciding factor was the price of an upgrade licence which I got for around £25.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

thexfile

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 02:24:16 pm »
Windows 7 isn't broke. I have no plans to switch Windows Spyware 8.
http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-tells-microsoft-about-everything-you-install

Also, if you have a cablecard you'll have to pay an extra $10 for the media package if you go Win 8.

If you disable 'glass theme' in Windows 7 you will get the same speed as Windows 8. Remember Win 8 is built on Win 7.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 02:43:02 pm by thexfile »
AMD FX-8350 Vishera
GA-990FXA-UD7 (rev. 1.1) (BIOS: F11d)
Corsair Vengeance(LP) 16GB 1600MHz
GV-R795WF3-3GD (BIOS: F3)
ADATA XPG SX910 512GB (1)
SanDisk Extreme SSD 480GB (2)
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250
Windows 7 Ult. 64bit
Corsair Pro Series HX750-Watt 80+ Gold
Corsair Hydro Series H100i

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 05:14:19 am »
Hi everyone,

Personally I will be sticking to Windows 7 for now at least. Win 8 is fine for phones and pads etc but is not really geared up towards the PC. I can understand Micro$oft wanting to move everyone to one OS but that is the point I feel, different systems require different OSes.

Hi DM and long time no talk to you!

Great to see you are still here helping out all of us.  Thanks again for the myriads of posts you did to help me so very, very much.

I will not forget you!

Yes, I have heard the same report from other people too about the Windows 8 being more geared to meet the needs of the tablet/phone market.

I am still debating which way to go.

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 05:17:56 am »
Well I for one have switched to Windows 8 and generally I am more than pleased with the move. Yes, it has taken a little getting used to but in many areas it seems much quicker and more responsive with my hardware than Windows 7.

Also, if you are running an FX processor or similar from AMD then Windows 8 is a vast improvement over 7 and the info I am getting is that things seem to be handled better when it comes to utilising these processors as Microsoft has addressed the software issues that were present in previous Windows version when these CPUs came along.

USB3 is also handled in a better way than previous versions of Windows and I have also noticed other little things that just work better in Windows 8.

Yes, there are a few issues with certain software that I cannot run but, I expect these to be resolved as Windows 8 becomes more established and I remember facing similar problems when Windows 7 came along. It always seems that certain hardware & software producers are not as sharp as they could be when a new OS comes out despite the advanced warnings that they have.

Overall, I give Windows 8 a big thumbs up, which is not what I was thinking when I tried the pre-release versions. Yes, I have had to add a couple of tweaks, such as adding a restart and shutdown short cut to my taskbar to make things a little easier in this area. With a dual monitor set-up the Metro interface is not so annoying but, once again, if you don't like this feature at start-up you can add a tweak to remove it so you go straight to your desktop which, once there, looks almost identical to Windows 7

Another deciding factor was the price of an upgrade licence which I got for around £25.

Hi again Absic!

Glad to see you are still here working on the darker side of the moon...

It is good to hear that you like Windows 8 and that it is working better than Windows 7 for you.

Are you experiencing a big improvement from the pre-release version compared to the real deal?

My wife and I both received numerous keys of the Windows 8 Professional due to our educational background, but I have only been test driving the consumer preview version...

Is there much of a difference?

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 05:25:25 am »
Windows 7 isn't broke. I have no plans to switch Windows Spyware 8.
http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-tells-microsoft-about-everything-you-install

Also, if you have a cablecard you'll have to pay an extra $10 for the media package if you go Win 8.

If you disable 'glass theme' in Windows 7 you will get the same speed as Windows 8. Remember Win 8 is built on Win 7.

XFile,

Thanks for your post. I read your neopost article and found it interesting, but I failed to see any pertinent documentation regarding the perceived security risks.

Oh, a few days ago, Microsoft was offering free Windows Media Center downloads and keys for anyone that submitted an email address.  My wife and I swiftly received over 15 free keys for the Windows Media Center that appears to missing in the Windows 8 operating system.

I cannot remember the exact website, but you may want to Google it.  I think it is still available.

Here is a portion of the Email that Microsoft sent to each of the email addresses we submitted:

Thank you for registering for our free Windows 8 Media Center Pack offer! **

Here’s your free Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key:

XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Follow these steps to add Windows 8 Media Center Pack to your PC running Windows 8 Pro:

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search).
    Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
    Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.
    Then tap or click I already have a product key.
    Enter the product key, and then click Next.
    Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.

Your PC will restart automatically and Windows Media Center will be available for use.

Oh, here is some more info about the free Windows Media Center keys that Microsoft is offering:

** Windows 8 Media Center Pack is available at no charge for a limited time only through the promotional page on Windows.com. If you obtain Windows 8 Media Center Pack through any other location, fees might apply. Offer valid from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013, and is limited to one product key per email address. In addition, each product key can only be used with one computer. You qualify for this promotion if your PC is running Windows 8 Pro. Additional hardware may be required to watch and record live TV. You must provide a valid email address to receive your Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key. This promotion ends on January 31, 2013; your product key must be activated no later than February 1, 2013. Microsoft will only contact you at the email address you provide to send you your product key and to remind you when the activation period for your product key is ending. Catalysis Corporation is a third-party company we use to collect subscription information and process the delivery of these emails. If you purchase a new PC with Windows 8 preinstalled and you later upgrade that PC with Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8 Media Center Pack, a volume license edition, or a retail edition, you will no longer be able to install apps that are provided exclusively from your PC manufacturer through the Windows Store. Get the full details on our special offers.

Hope this helps someone!

Soar

UPDATE:  Here is the website if you would like a free Microsoft Windows Media Center Download and Key:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:26:26 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

thexfile

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 05:38:58 am »
Thanks for your post. I read your neopost article and found it interesting, but I failed to see any pertinent documentation regarding the perceived security risks.
The problem is SmartScreen. SmartScreen sends a hash of the app installer and its digital signature, if any. A combination of the hash and the user’s IP address is still enough to identify that IP address x attempted to install software y.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2011/03/22/smartscreen-174-application-reputation-building-reputation.aspx

I know android does something similar but that's a phone not a primary box.

The free media license offer ends January 31, 2013.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:26:29 am by thexfile »
AMD FX-8350 Vishera
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250
Windows 7 Ult. 64bit

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 06:16:15 am »
The problem is SmartScreen. SmartScreen sends a hash of the app installer and its digital signature, if any. A combination of the hash and the user’s IP address is still enough to identify that IP address x attempted to install software y.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2011/03/22/smartscreen-174-application-reputation-building-reputation.aspx

I know android does something similar but that's a phone not a primary box.

Xfile,

Thanks again for a nice post.  I read this article too.  Isn't this referring to IE 9?  Does it apply when we are using Firefox, Chrome, etc.?

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

thexfile

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 06:50:28 am »
Xfile,

Thanks again for a nice post.  I read this article too.  Isn't this referring to IE 9?  Does it apply when we are using Firefox, Chrome, etc.?

Soar
Yes, you could download and switch browsers. IE 9 and IE 10 does have SmartScreen under the Safety tab "SmartScreen Filter". This feature is turned on by default.

I've seen posted unconfirmed rumor about Windows Defender in Win 8 recording installs.  I'm still on the fence about the legitimacy of that rumor.
AMD FX-8350 Vishera
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250
Windows 7 Ult. 64bit

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 08:41:58 am »
Are you experiencing a big improvement from the pre-release version compared to the real deal?

Not a big improvement but it is better in many subtle ways. As with all things new, Windows 8 takes a little getting used to and there are some things that are not implemented as well as they could be, shutdown and restart for example but, these can be overcome with a few simple tweaks.

As I mentioned previously, if you don't want to be bothered with the Metro interface at startup and want to go straight to the desktop, this too can be achieved although I can see many users who are using mobile phones and tablets preferring the icon driven interface.

Smartfilter can be disabled during the first run of IE10 if you are planning on using this browser so personally I don't really see this as a major issue.

Defender seems to work in the same way as Security Essentials and other Anti-Virus/malware software. Over the years I have tried many different products in this field and they all seem to log some installation information. Again, you can disable the reporting of usage, suspected files and/or perceived threats or disable it all together and use your favourite Anti Virus software if you prefer.

Everyone will have their own views on Windows 8 some will love it, some will hate and yet others will be indifferent to it. I didn't like it when I first started testing the preview release but now, I wouldn't switch back to 7. I have found an issue with the current version of Alcohol 120 not running on Windows 8 but this is down to the software and an update is in the pipeline. However, Windows 8 does include a virtual drive of its own so you can mount ISO images without the need for 3rd party software if you so desire.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

geekyadz

• In the land of the geeks
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 10:17:24 am »
Well, Im only using Windows 8 in a virtual box for now. Unfortunately Im currently studying a new module with the OU, so me changing my operating system would be a strict no-no at the moment, esp when I have to create virtual machines for the course ;)

I aint keen on the new interface (notably the start menu missing, however there are mods to "get that back" to make Windows 8 look like Windows 7). However it is fair to say that I havent really "played" with it that much - I just havent had the time yet. I suppose I could do some things in Windows 8 to see how it "handles".

So Im just gonna "sit on the fence" for now, until Ive had a chance to "play with it more". Im happy with Windows 7 for now though.
Nothing to see here, move along....

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 07:50:54 pm »

Not a big improvement but it is better in many subtle ways. As with all things new, Windows 8 takes a little getting used to and there are some things that are not implemented as well as they could be, shutdown and restart for example but, these can be overcome with a few simple tweaks.

As I mentioned previously, if you don't want to be bothered with the Metro interface at startup and want to go straight to the desktop, this too can be achieved although I can see many users who are using mobile phones and tablets preferring the icon driven interface.

Smartfilter can be disabled during the first run of IE10 if you are planning on using this browser so personally I don't really see this as a major issue.

Defender seems to work in the same way as Security Essentials and other Anti-Virus/malware software. Over the years I have tried many different products in this field and they all seem to log some installation information. Again, you can disable the reporting of usage, suspected files and/or perceived threats or disable it all together and use your favourite Anti Virus software if you prefer.

Everyone will have their own views on Windows 8 some will love it, some will hate and yet others will be indifferent to it. I didn't like it when I first started testing the preview release but now, I wouldn't switch back to 7. I have found an issue with the current version of Alcohol 120 not running on Windows 8 but this is down to the software and an update is in the pipeline. However, Windows 8 does include a virtual drive of its own so you can mount ISO images without the need for 3rd party software if you so desire.

Absic,

Thanks for the great info and I may be asking you how to tweak Windows 8 in the future.  Thanks also for the info on disabling Smart Filter to close any security issues.

I look forward to learning more about Windows 8.

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold