Official GIGABYTE Forum

p35-ds3r memory issue

ruggb

p35-ds3r memory issue
« on: December 30, 2009, 03:03:59 pm »
I have an issue with something causing the boot to hang at "MEMORY TE" of the memory test portion.

I have 2x2GB Crucial Ballistic Tracer and 2x1GB Crucial Ballistic, both 800MHz ram.
Problem 1 - they are not voltage compatible so Crucial is swapping out the 2X1GB.
problem 2 - with just the Tracers in the MB at the proper voltage it will still hang IF they are running dual channel (slot 1&3 or 2&4).
                   If they are running single channel (slot 1&2 or 3&4) the problem doesn't appear.
                   If I turn the PSU off till voltages go away and back on it boots fine. A cold or warm boot won't clear the problem.
                   The problem will eventually come back within 8 hrs. but if I restart right after it boots successfully it will boot OK.

MB is running optimized default settings with ram set at 2.0V. Nothing is overclocked.
PSU is 750W and running very cool.

I have used freeze spray on the ram and MB to no avail.

It feels like a power-on reset on the MB isn't working.

any hints on solving this issue.

Pottypete

Re: p35-ds3r memory issue
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 10:36:46 pm »
hi
You could try increase the ram voltage a tad to see if it is more stable,  (it varies bettween 2.0v or 2.2)!!!
are your memory settings as manufactures specs,
have you checked for bios update
cheers
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 10:42:18 pm by Pottypete »

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 03:59:23 am »
I have spent hours reading these memory problems on the forum, and none of the answers help, nor do they justify the number of people who experience memory problems on Gigabyte boards.  It seems that two people--pottypete and one other, do most of the replying.  But I'm told that they're not employees or engineers.  I'd like to know what their credentials really are.

Pottypete

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 01:43:38 pm »
Hi,palavering
Just for your information!
No I do not work for gigabyte
No I am Not An employee of gigabyte,
Yes, we all try to help people on this forum with problems that they may encounter, to the best of our ability and time permiting,
And we do ask any other forum members to help anyone else with a problem or query if they can,
Unfortunatly everyone (sic) cannot come up with the right solution every time we just got to try our best,
OF course there are other profesional websites that charge you for the privilage of solutions to your problems if you wish the correct answer every time,
As regards my credentials
Someone who is trying to learn about computing,
And willing to help others rather than not!
Also not afraid of being wrong,
As a matter of interest what are your credentials?,

Oh,Yes my keyboard don't spell correctly sometimes

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 02:10:16 pm »
(...)  It seems that two people--pottypete and one other, do most of the replying.  But I'm told that they're not employees or engineers.  I'd like to know what their credentials really are.

If you meant me as "one other" then please be informed that I do work for GIGABYTE.
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 08:21:43 pm »
Yes, I meant you as "one other."  I can't say how many times I waited days to get an answer (the wrong answer) because you were out of the office.  If you work for GBYTE, why don't you admit that the board in question has problems handling the RAM?  You have been of no help to me, and of very llittle help to tohers, so far as I can discern.  Remember, you asked! 
It took a week to get an answer (the wrong answer) from the Gigabyte website.  Finally, they suggested that I get an RMA.  That means weeks going to CA, being tested (or whatever), and then having it shipped back.  I have reported this problem on as many tech sites as I can.  No company should offer for sale defective products--again and again.

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 10:05:23 am »
Yes, I meant you as "one other."  I can't say how many times I waited days to get an answer (the wrong answer) because you were out of the office.  If you work for GBYTE, why don't you admit that the board in question has problems handling the RAM?  You have been of no help to me, and of very llittle help to tohers, so far as I can discern.  Remember, you asked!  
It took a week to get an answer (the wrong answer) from the Gigabyte website.  Finally, they suggested that I get an RMA.  That means weeks going to CA, being tested (or whatever), and then having it shipped back.  I have reported this problem on as many tech sites as I can.  No company should offer for sale defective products--again and again.

Just to but in here

I am also trying to help; my handicap is that im a DFI MAN! I am just getting back into GBT BOARDS after a hiatus since the x38 DQ6.

I personally will be reviewing the X58 GBT D7 in a few weeks, and you have my word (if it is any comfort) that I will be honest and forthright! I am straight up Yorkshireman and I say what I see!

I dont work for gigabyte

My credential?

Ok the shortened version is

Universa ABITl UK oc Winner of 2006
Helped to design the cooling on the IP35 pro and the board layout( viA intesnsive feedback with their R&D) (which won many awards)
aCTIVE HAND IN DESIGNING the cooling array on the DFI X48 T2RSB+ DK (the seperating of the northbridge heatsink fins leaving a blank plate underneath to enable a water block installtion-without having to change ht e pwm block atthe same time) was my idea this then was used inthe X58 T3EH8 UT. Also had a hand in planning the board layout of the P55 UT

DFI ABS (auto Boost System) the core idea came from me, I also had to give a lecture on this to Enta (GBT's distributor) I used to work with Oscar Wu, jarry chang and Jimmy SU

Is right now helping to redesign GEIL's fan cooler for their ram!

wSA THE FIRST TO TEST and preview Thermochills new PA140.3 when steve aka over-clock owned it

Was the first to review and test Thermochill's performance coolant

Still give suggestions and feeback to Paul at XSPC

Now owns a small but increasingly popular Overclocking/review website!

Once I am up to speed on GBT boards again, I will try to help

These are my credentials in short, if I find that problem you gave feedback on, I will report it, you can be rest assured ofthis! iN THE MEANTIME give  Gigabyte a chance mate!

gilgamesh

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:10:28 am by gilgamesh »
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news