Official GIGABYTE Forum

Unable To Install Win7 64bit

^0^

Unable To Install Win7 64bit
« on: January 02, 2010, 08:07:42 pm »
Hi,

I've just recently upgraded my MoBo, CPU and Memory to the following and after doing so can't install Win7 64bit Ult without it hanging after the first reboot.

New equipment: Gigabyte P55A-UD3R, Intel i7 860 and Corsair XMS3, DDR3 PC3-10666 8GB (4x2GB) CMX8GX3M4B1333C9.

I also have a BFG Nvidia 8800GT, 750W PSU, Pioneer DVD Rewriter (IDE) and LG Blu Ray player (SATA).

I've tried for the last 2 days, changing cables, different memory configurations (1 stick, 2 sticks etc), unplugging the IDE rewriter, then unplugged the Blu Ray player with just the Pioneer connected.
Removed all unnecessary equipment, disabling the Floppy drive in the BIOS, set the BIOS for 64bit usage.
I've also tried 4 different HDD's, some IDE and some SATA (I even bought a new SATA HDD this morning) and an older graphics card.
And installing Win7 via USB drive instead of disk.
But whatever I try I can't make it install. It just hangs for hours on the Win logo after the first reboot, when it mentions registry settings.

I just reconnected my old MoBo (Asus P5K Deluxe) and chip (Intel Quad Core 6600) 8GB's of Patriot Mem. etc and I can install it without problems.

Can anyone suggest anything I could try maybe with the BIOS, I've left the settings as default, no overclocking etc.
I wondered about taking it to PC World for them to take a look, I've run out of ideas.

Thanks for reading and any help.

Pottypete

Re: Unable To Install Win7 64bit
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 10:34:59 am »
Hi
Have you selected the boot drive by pressing F12.
Is your DVD drive a SATA one? It may be that you need to interrupt the boot up by pressing F6 and installing drivers from a floppy or CD. Alternatively you can change the SATA mode to "IDE compatible" in the BIOS but then you loose some features of SATA.
One other possibility. Is this a Microsoft retail DVD or is it one that you have burned yourself? Apparently this problem is typical of a corrupt DVD.
cheers

fadsarmy

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 09:53:32 am »
Is it set to AHCI? If it is change to IDE as mentioned by Pottypete.

To enable AHCI after windows installation:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 11:48:57 pm »
As the guys say install it with IDE access. If you want to switch to AHCI, do so after OS is installed. Follow this guide Convert IDE to AHCI for Vista works the same in Win 7.