Official GIGABYTE Forum

Bad BIOS flash on GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev. 2.0)

Bad BIOS flash on GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev. 2.0)
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:10:19 am »
Hi, my friend just tried to flash his BIOS with the latest (BETA) bios from the gigabyte website and now his computer wont work.
It boots up and all fans etc spin but nothing shows on screen.
He's usin a pci-e gfx card as there is no onboard gfx, he swapped the gfx card and still the same.
He has tried pluggin in a floppy drive with an old bios flash on to see if that helped but it didnt even read the drive.
He cleared the cmos and removed the battery etc and still nothing.
I lent him my AM2 motherboard to test the rest of his components and everything worked fine.
Is there anyway to fix the board or is it time to send it back for repair/replace?

Thanks

kangoo

Re: Bad BIOS flash on GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev. 2.0)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 10:47:52 am »
disconnect power supply, clear cmos for 15 minutes, then try with hdd connected, dual bios should work

which way the upgrade was done : Q-Flash, @BIOS or other?

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 10:01:56 am »
I also have the same problem. I tried to use face wizard. Left my mobo dead... This is quite unexpected.Coz in gigabyte website i didn't find anything warning me about putting my mobo in such denger. When i turn on the pc all LED is on. DVD rom is working and no floppy seek.. i really don't know what to do... Any one have any idea???

Pottypete

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 01:52:02 pm »
Hi
At the bottom of the bios download page there is a warning about bios flashing!! ::)
You MUST have a Floppy Disk Drive installed and set as First Boot Device, BEFORE your system failure. It will not help you at all to try to install one after a BIOS error in a attempt to fix it with these methods.

1. Make a bootable floopy disk by formatting a floppy disk and choosing Create a MS-DOS startup disk in the format options

2. Copy the Award flash utility (Flash895) & BIOS file (.Fxx) to the floppy disk

3. Create an autoexec.bat with “flash895 bios_file_example_name.Fxx” in the content of the batch file, (without the quotes “ ”).

Yes the space is there and is necessary!
(Example: flash895 gap35ds4.F12)

4. Boot the system with the floppy (it will take a few minutes before screen comes out)

5. Re-flash the BIOS & reboot.

Here is how to create an autoexec.bat File
1. In Windows, open NotePad
2. In NotePad, write “flash895 gap35ds4.F12″ (without the quotes “ ”)
3. Save the file as autoexec.bat
try this, Get into Qflash Select  F8 Within the BIOS to enter Qflash.

Or use This link
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/HowToReflashBIOS.aspx

Please DO NOT USE @BIOS!!
cheers
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:53:17 pm by Pottypete »

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 06:32:27 am »
In this site [http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/NewTech/2006_motherboard_newtech/article_04_bios_explained.htm] it is said that if the bios is unable to load then it will look at the cd rom for the boot image.

And i've tried the floppy method but the bios does not seek for the floppy. How to recover from the CD??? I tried using pressing CTRL+HOME and start up the system but nothing works. Isn't there any recover system which will work ??

i am really stunned to find out that killing my bios is so easy in Gigabyte  :o. Gigabyte should get a better bulletproof backup.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 06:41:26 am »
By the way, is there any why by which i can FORCE the mobo to look into the floppy drive for the bios?? And PLZ do not use FACE WIZARD...

Pottypete

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 08:56:52 am »
Hi,
Don't use Face wizard,
press "END" to enter q-flash utility or F8,
you can use a usb, cd, or floppy image,
Cheers

kangoo

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 08:26:50 am »
At the bottom of the bios download page there is a warning about bios flashing!! ::)
You MUST have a Floppy Disk Drive installed and set as First Boot Device, BEFORE your system failure. It will not help you at all to try to install one after a BIOS error in a attempt to fix it with these methods.

Hi Pottypete

where have you found info that FDD needs to be installed before any attempt to upgrade bios? could you provide with the link?

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 06:20:21 pm »
Hi all,

I have the same problem...
bad bios flash (maybe wrong version) and now the pc not boot at all
no beep, FDD show green light continously, no respond to vga/monitor..
sadly i forgot to set FDD as 1st boot device before flashing the bios so i can't try re flash via FDD
can it be done via cd/dvd coz i put 1st boot device to cdrom?
is there any way to fix this problem...?

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 07:44:33 am »
Hi, my friend just tried to flash his BIOS with the latest (BETA) bios from the gigabyte website and now his computer wont work.
It boots up and all fans etc spin but nothing shows on screen.
He's usin a pci-e gfx card as there is no onboard gfx, he swapped the gfx card and still the same.
He has tried pluggin in a floppy drive with an old bios flash on to see if that helped but it didnt even read the drive.
He cleared the cmos and removed the battery etc and still nothing.
I lent him my AM2 motherboard to test the rest of his components and everything worked fine.
Is there anyway to fix the board or is it time to send it back for repair/replace?

Thanks

I had this problem and solved it with another cpu. I have a sempron cpu and phenom x2 545. So when i upgraded the bios the screen went all black. Then i removed the phenom cpu and put the sempron so i did see the screen and pc worked fine. Then i flashed back to FF bios version. It is the only bios version that works fine but my motherboard detects phenom 2 cpu as unknown cpu model. But in the end it works. If you have a second cpu like sempron, do as a did and you will fix it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:47:22 am by askinkoc »