Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-G41MT-USB3

Gigabyte GA-G41MT-USB3
« on: December 28, 2012, 09:47:40 am »
hello, I own a Gigabyte GA-G41MT-USB3 and i have just a small question regarding the hard drives i tried to find an answer by checking the manual and here i am.. so, the question is can i use an ssd on this motherboard ( rev 1.3 ) or i must change it?

ps. i have the pci slot filled with my audio board .. so using an adapter won`t help..

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Gigabyte GA-G41MT-USB3
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 09:52:55 am »
Hi there,

you should be able to use an SSD on this motherboard. Just connect it to one of the SATA ports and it should be recognised. Just remember that you only have SATA2 ports on this board so transfer rates may not be as fast as quoted by the manufacturer for the SSD, if it is a SATA3 version.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 10:03:08 am »
so if i`m gonna purchase an ssd i won`t benefit from the full speed of it..and i`m gonna have half of the speed.. isn`t this a waste?  atm i`m using a hard drive from seagate ST3320620AS and in guild wars2 it takes to much in loading screen..

the full spec of the computer is : e7500 cpu , 8gb ram, 2*seagate ST3320620AS, ati radeon 6850, s blaster 2SE, and 650W corsair
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:04:00 am by pcristian »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 11:06:46 am »
An SSD will be faster than a standard HDD. A SATA3 SSD will run at SATA2 speeds on your motherboard, this will still be faster than a mechanical HDD at SATA2 speeds.

You are limited with your options because of the motherboard that you are running. If you do not wish to upgrade the motherboard but are looking for an improvement with your system then an SSD will give you that and, if you upgrade your motherboard in the future you will be able to benefit from the full speed of the SSD if it has a SATA 3 controller.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.