Official GIGABYTE Forum

Move storage from SSD to HDD

mjmm88

Move storage from SSD to HDD
« on: January 31, 2013, 02:29:16 am »
Hi I have a 120 gig ssd thats getting filled up with downloads and programs and i would like to move it to the hdd.  Does anyone know how to do this im kind lost.  I think I wanna move my users folder.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Move storage from SSD to HDD
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:31:12 am »
Hi there,

What Operating System are you using?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

mjmm88

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 01:44:25 am »
whoops, forgot to mention that. Windows 7 ultimate 64bit.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 08:20:28 am »
Trying to find an easy way to describe what you need to do but failing miserably!  :P

1. Copy the folders you want to move from your user account on the C: drive to the HDD. These will probably be: My Music, Downloads, Pictures etc.
2. Go to the start menu and right click on the folder you want to change the location of.
3. Click on the Properties line in the popup window.
4. In the window that opens click on the "include a folder..." button and navigate to the folder you copied onto the HDD.
5. Once you have added the folder left click on it and then click the "Set save location" button.
6. Repeat steps 2 - 5 for each of the folders you want to relocate.

Once you have set the default location for your folders you will need to alter the default settings for your web browser and other programs to save things to the same folders on the HDD rather than the SSD.

After you are sure everything has been copied to the HDD, you can safely delete the contents of the folders to free up space but I wouldn't delete the folders themselves as, when empty, they do not take up any real space but it can save you from problems if you forget to change the default save location in some of your programs.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

mjmm88

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 11:30:11 pm »
Thank you for the lengthy reply I appreciate it.  I couldn't find anything in the properties that said "include a folder".  I also tried this http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/Redirect-a-folder-to-a-new-location but it failed to free up the downloads folder on the c drive, and if i download anything from the internet it still downloads to c drive downloads instead of d drive.

actually you helped me out, i needed to change settings on the web browser.

if you just wanna move the contents of one folder to another, cant you just copy and paste them or drag them to the new file?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:41:15 pm by mjmm88 »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 06:11:36 am »
if you just wanna move the contents of one folder to another, cant you just copy and paste them or drag them to the new file?

Yes, you can do this without any real issues. The only problem with this method is that you have to remember to move things over a period of time and you may overwrite files by accident. By moving the location of the default folder(s) you can avoid this.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 05:30:50 am »
I am using the Window 7 with having the 4.7 ghz processor and 4 gb ram and it going really good for me to run any kind of programs.
It suitable  a lot and help me  a lot to get good deals with it.