Official GIGABYTE Forum

Dolby is not working with 990FXA-UD5 in Windows 8 !

Dolby is not working with 990FXA-UD5 in Windows 8 !
« on: February 04, 2013, 10:04:00 pm »
I had been running Windows 7 64 bit since I bought Gigabyte 990FXA UD5. I had no trouble with this board and it was running flawlessly in Windows 7.
Two days ago I installed Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64 bit edition. Windows 8 generic drivers were working with all my hardware components. But as we know Dolby Home Theater is not available with generic driver, and to get this we need to download and install driver either from motherboard vendor's website (Gigabyte) or from the Audio Chip vendor's website (Realtek). I downloaded latest audio driver from both websites for Windows 8 64 bit. Audio Driver version from both Gigabyte and Realtek is same and latest (r2.70)

Firstly I installed the one from Gigabyte, everything seemed fine and installation was successful, I restarted OS and I did find Dolby Home Theater V4 icon in my Taskbar list and in Windows Control Panel as well. But when I play any song/video/DVD, Dolby Home Theater is not working even if the Dolby Home Theater power button is switched ON. I am getting standard sound compared to what I had been listening in Windows 7. I mean software loads without any hassle or compatibility issue, DHT software is opening without any problem, but the main problem is that it doesn't look to be working anymore. When I played sounds in Windows 7, DHT Graphic Equalizer was working and showing that you were getting Dolby effects but now in Windows 8 that effects are no more and Graphic Equalizer remains silent all the time. Please help me I've tested it with both drivers but its not functioning.

One more thing I am not getting virtualized multichannel sound effects (5.1/7.1) from the front panel green colored audio jack. For example If I set 5.1 channel in Realtek Sound Manager and play games like Battlefield 3 online, I am only getting sound effects of front set of speakers. I hear sound from left and front right in Realtek Sound Manager sound test but I get no sound from other remaining audio channels. All this had been working with Windows 7 and a Headphone without any problem.

Please help :( I've installed all latest drivers for all motherboard components, I have also installed latest BIOS ver F12a (I've tested with some old BIOS versions too in Windows 8, but it didn't work).

My system configuration:
# Gigabyte 990FXA UD5 Revision 1.0 with BIOS f12a
# AMD Phenom II X6 1055T at default clock
# ADATA 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 MHz CL 9
# XFX Radeon HD 5770 reference design
# 2 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 in Raid 0
# Corsair TX850 V2
# Microsoft General keyboard and Mouse
# 18.5" Acer V193HQV LCD Monitor

Many thanks to all experts, please don't ignore :(
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:10:24 pm by sumitlian »

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
Re: Dolby is not working with 990FXA-UD5 in Windows 8 !
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:47:53 pm »
New operating system ,different kind of sound pipe for W8 compared to W7 ,hardware acceleration has returned so either get a sound card that supports this under W8 ,either wait for new releases of the software.

Off-topic speaking BF 3 is a failure with or without the Dolby , BF 2 or BF BC2 are far superior in the sound compartiment what to say about gameplay :) <- personal opinion.
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

Re: Dolby is not working with 990FXA-UD5 in Windows 8 !
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 05:33:19 am »
The solution to get full access to all Dolby Home Theatre v4 features working as expected is as simple as:
1)Make sure to uninstall your bad Realtek HD Audio driver installation and restart PC
2) Use device manager to uninstall all audio devices  #The downloaded driver contains a readme text file which describes this albeit referring to WinXP
3) Install Realtek HD Audio Driver #Witness Vista x64 drivers being installed - do not worry though
4) Restart machine  #You will now have lovely full GUI for Dolby Home Theatre v4 with all features working.

[rant]Can confirm these drivers have worked on Windows 8 since its release and had trouble getting access to the graphic equaliser and tools after fixing another problem due to improper advice in user manual; GGTS and these forums.  I guess this thread is another example of  how Forums are unreliable source of info and reflect how little use User Manuals are from this vendor. Additionally people may feel misled by advertising if these kind of features do not work due to them being part of advertising[/rant]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:36:31 am by Signorefi »
Model Name : GA-A75-UD4H(rev. 1.0)
M/B Rev : 1.0
BIOS Ver : F8a
VGA Brand : Radeon  Model : HD6550D  Drivers:9.002-120928m-149042C-ATI  12.10 Catalyst
CPU Brand : AMD Model : 3870K Speed : 3.0GHz
Operation System : Windows8   Ubuntu 12.10
Memory Brand : G.Skill Type : DDR3
Memory Size : 2x4GB