Official GIGABYTE Forum

Problem with PS2 mouse and keyboard

Problem with PS2 mouse and keyboard
« on: February 08, 2013, 09:40:07 pm »
Hi all

Okay - old board but still working great:
ga-p35-ds3

just upgraded the ram from 6GB to 8GB and changed monitor and suddenly the previously okay ps2 keyboard and mouse wont work.
All the lights flash on both as it boots, etc but neither in bios or windows will they work!

Attached usb versions and all seems okay but really want it back running from the ps2's.

I had the BIOS at v14 before and have since the problem tried the v15d beta and all the earlier versions right back to v6 which was  supposed to fix some ps2 problems.

I'm guessing there may be a setting in the BIOS affecting this but I can't find it - any advice please?

I should mention that I'm dual booting xp pro 32bit and win 7 64 bit on this machine with an SSD for the system drive.

I spent all of yesterday thinking it was Windows and driver related' so would love some advice to sort this!

Cheers!

Graceman

Re: Problem with PS2 mouse and keyboard
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 04:58:32 pm »
I have exactly the same issue PS" port fails to work under windows 8 64 bit it can work if I use a Linux boot drive.
It did work under XP pro 32 bit.
I to have just upgraded bios to latest version had to to get Lan working in Windows 8 so I have assumed its either windows 64bit related or the Bios but so far have not fount the bios change that can do this.

The Board manual does say mouse Or Keyboard its not specific as to its ability to run both via splitter cable to this PS2 port.

Some answers would be Nice gigabyte support has not answered this past week.
Antec NSK4000B II Midi Tower Case
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 rv 1.0
I7/3770K
16Gb Csair Vengance Ram
Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK PSU  CX430V2  
OCZ RVD3-FHPX4-240G 240GB RevoDrive3 PCI-E SSD

Alcool DC-LT 12v Ceramic Pump
Alcool Rvoir for DC-LT Pump
Alcool DC-LT Pump Top
EK Supremacy CSQ Univ Full

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 06:49:07 pm »
Great to know it's not just me - thanks for that!

My xp is 32 bit and my Windows 7 is 64 however both PS2 devices previously worked in the BIOS and now work nowhere - although their lights flash during boot up.

Just to clarify I had them all working great on BIOS 14 and made no changes except RAM and monitor which is when they stopped working.

As I mentioned I spent quite some time mucking about with drivers and Windows until I figured it must be the BIOS - only then did I try flashing different versions but still no joy.

I'm using my USB keyboard right now but would much rather revert to PS2 keyboard and mouse (better quality) and free the USB slots.

Gigabyte, anyone, please?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 11:03:49 pm »
As this has gone down a few pages I'm just bumping it so hopefully somebody (perhaps from Gigabyte?) will have a look?
Please?

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 12:07:58 pm »
Anyone from Gigabyte care to look at this, please?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 06:03:23 pm »
Hi guys,

from your description of the problem it would seem to me to be BIOS related and the best advice I can offer to you is to get in touch with Gigabyte Tech Support, http://ggts.gigabyte.com/tech.asp?ClassID=2&Country=U.K.&SourceWeb=B2C  to see if they are aware of this issue.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 09:58:05 pm »
Thanks absic - already have but no reply :-(

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 07:12:15 am »
It can take several days to get a reply so don't be surprised by this.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 06:23:51 pm »
Okay
Thanks again.

Graceman

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 10:25:06 pm »
My PS2 was the combination of the Windows 8  64 bit system and the bios.
If you read the manual it actually states mouse OR Keyboard it does not state it can run both off the same Ps2 port.

In your case with two separate ports it should work but in anything beyond Xp 32 bit I would not speculate on it.
Antec NSK4000B II Midi Tower Case
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 rv 1.0
I7/3770K
16Gb Csair Vengance Ram
Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK PSU  CX430V2  
OCZ RVD3-FHPX4-240G 240GB RevoDrive3 PCI-E SSD

Alcool DC-LT 12v Ceramic Pump
Alcool Rvoir for DC-LT Pump
Alcool DC-LT Pump Top
EK Supremacy CSQ Univ Full

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 05:26:27 am »
thanks for the feedback but it is xp 32 bit I'm using and both were working great before.
Anyone else please?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:27:18 am by northwinds »