« on: February 20, 2013, 11:30:17 pm »
Hi,

Specs:
CPU: i7 -930 @2,80
MB: Asus Sabretooth x58
GPU: GV-R797TO-3GD
GPU BIOS: F62
PSU: Thermaltake 1000W, previously powering HD6990 without any problem

I've just bought myself GV-R797TO-3GD (HD7970 GHz Top edition) and I've been struggling so far with proper drivers installation. I've already tried all official Catalyst packages, as well as provided by Gigabyte packs.

Every driver installation was a full cycle of uninstalling, drivers leftovers sweeping/cleaning and rebooting. Unfortunately my Windows 7 Home Premium x64, keeps on reverting the card drivers to Standard VGA Adapter. Nothing helps so far. I've even tried resetting BIOS, removing CPU overclock and changing PCIE slots.

Luckily I managed to find out the issue. As I've been inspecting drivers and Device Manager constantly, I noticed that beside Vendor Id and Device Id, rest of the data was filled with zeros (revision, susbsytem, etc.)

This gave me a thing to ponder. I've edited .inf file and looked for the Vendor and Dev Id's my card is supposed to have. And I was right, there was no entry regarding it. Even in official Gigabyte drivers package.

Vendor Id: 0x1002
Dev Id: 0x6790

Basing on the info from here:

http://benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-modding-guide-and-performance-test

I've edited C7152570.inf and added 2 lines to it.

1. Under [ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1]:

Code: [Select]
"%AMD6790.1%" = ati2mtag_R575, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6790
2. Under ; Localizable Strings, where the list of labels is

Code: [Select]
AMD6790.1 = "7900 MOD - AMD Radeon HD 7900 GHz Series"
After saving the file, I ran setup.exe from the package and rebooted. Card was installed properly in Device Manager. I ran the installation of CCC package again in order to get all the functionalities available.
So far, everything works like a charm. Gonna test the stability a bit and let you all know how it behaves.

Question to community:

Is it an error on AMD/Gigabyte behalf that Vendor/Dev Id hasn't been included in .inf file or is it card's bios fault that it has non-existant Vendor/Dev Id?

Re: GV-R797TO-3GD Drivers issue
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 05:25:25 pm »
Everything works as intended. Not a single instability in few days of testing.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:41:50 am »
Been having same issue as you. Windows 8 detected correct when I install installed OS but after installing some updates and rebooting device manager reports the display device as Generic VGA Display Adapter. I tried reinstalling various drivers, updating bios of MOBO, switching graphics card into different all with same results. I'm about ready to return card and purchase something else. I will try your solution and see if it corrects my problem.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 04:23:20 am »
Success!! Did exactly what you said and it worked. Device manager now displays the correct video card in windows 8. Strange this issue has not been addressed by Gigabyte or AMD because reading some other forums we are not the only people who had this problem.