Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z77X-UP5 TH SLI issue

Z77X-UP5 TH SLI issue
« on: March 10, 2013, 09:46:33 am »
I search and noticed someone had a similar issue but they had to remove their sound card to solve their issue. Unfortunately I don't have a sound card to remove.

i7-3779k
32 GB Ram
1000w PSU

I have 2 MSI GTX 680 Ligtning's that I am trying to SLI. Both show up in Device manager and show in Nivida control panel but NO option to SLI the cards (See image below)
Let me start off with a bit cause I have tried alot and reverting to different fourms now.

Here is what I have done:
-Installed current, beta, and old drivers (fresh installs with driver sweeper)
-Tried 4 different SLI cables
-Plugged in Sata Power to the ATX4P slot on the Mother board
-Installed each card individually into each slot to see if they work (They do as single cards)
-Used a friends MSI GTX 680 lightning edition to try and SLI (still did not work)
-Did a CMOS reset
-Updated mobo Bios to F11
-Updated mobo Bios to 12e Beta
-Updated the GPU cards to the same Bios
-Installed one card, rebooted, shutdown, installed 2nd card, rebooted (still nothing)
-installed both at the same time ( nothing)
-installed one monitor to one card (top and bottom)
-installed 2 monitors (2 to 1 and 1 to 1)

The only thing I can think of is that PCI-E slots are not running correctly (see GPUZ BUS INTERFACE) One is running at 8x and the other is running at 4x.

Bad board?

Pics below are GPU Z of both cards and a picture of NVIDIA control panel.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 09:47:34 am by AnthonyM »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Z77X-UP5 TH SLI issue
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 11:11:46 am »
Sorry I don't have an answer for you but there is a newer BIOS version (F13a) that you could try over at Tweaktown: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html

There is also the final F12 version available too.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

ysw

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 02:53:57 am »
The only thing I can think of is that PCI-E slots are not running correctly (see GPUZ BUS INTERFACE) One is running at 8x and the other is running at 4x.
-->you need have some loading for graphics card and then it will show correctly speed. just like cpu power saving.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 07:22:56 am »
Even under load (benchmarking) they don't change.

smashly

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 05:10:32 pm »
From your description it's either 3 things of what the slots are running at.

Your using the PCIEX16 slot (top x16 slot @ 16x) and the PCIEX4 (bottom x16 slot @ 4x)
Which will result in the top slot running @ 8x and the bottom slot running @ 4x
or
Your using  PCIEX16 slot (top x16 slot @ 16x) and PCIEX8 (middle x16 slot @ 8x) and have another card populating PCIEX4 (bottom x16 slot @ 4x)
Will also result in the top slot running @ 8x and the middle slot running @ 4x and bottom slot running @4x
or
Your board is faulty, rma it.

You could try just 1 card in the PCIEX8 (middle slot) with no other cards.
Run GPUZ and check what the middle slot is running at when no other slots are populated.
If it's running at 4x then there is a problem with the motherboard.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:22:30 pm by smashly »

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 12:49:43 pm »
From your description it's either 3 things of what the slots are running at.

Your using the PCIEX16 slot (top x16 slot @ 16x) and the PCIEX4 (bottom x16 slot @ 4x)
Which will result in the top slot running @ 8x and the bottom slot running @ 4x
or
Your using  PCIEX16 slot (top x16 slot @ 16x) and PCIEX8 (middle x16 slot @ 8x) and have another card populating PCIEX4 (bottom x16 slot @ 4x)
Will also result in the top slot running @ 8x and the middle slot running @ 4x and bottom slot running @4x
or
Your board is faulty, rma it.

You could try just 1 card in the PCIEX8 (middle slot) with no other cards.
Run GPUZ and check what the middle slot is running at when no other slots are populated.
If it's running at 4x then there is a problem with the motherboard.
I'll give that a shot

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 01:35:34 pm »

All of these test were done today with the latest GPUz and running their render test. I HAVE NOTHING OCCUPYING PCIEX4 SLOT (see diagram below).