Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-x58a-ud3r rev 2.0 rear speakers not working.

GA-x58a-ud3r rev 2.0 rear speakers not working.
« on: March 11, 2013, 02:30:00 pm »
Hi.

I have an GA-x58a-ud3r rev 2.0 motherboard with realtek integrated soundcard that has an annoying problem where i can't get my rear speakers to work in anything but the configuration windows.

The setup is as follows:
Windows 7 64 bit.
6gb ram 3x2gb corsair xms3 1333mhz
Intel i7 950 type cpu
Nvidia Geforce 470 gts Graphics
The sound is activated in the BIOS, bios set to optimized performance and the drivers are version  5.10.0.6642 from gigabyte's page.

Sound system:
quad plus subwoofer; the satellite speakers connected properly into the subwoofer, the subwoofer connects via 2 stereo plugs to the pc (front and rear plugs), i have the settings in the realtek audio manager, and the device manager set to quad, testing each speaker makes a clear crisp noise in both configuration windows but NOT rear speakers, nothing comes out of the REAR speakers, windows sounds, music, video, games, and where possible i've set settings to quad in programs and media.

However, switching to 7.1 i can disable all other speakers except front two and rear two, then they all work in the tests, BUT the rear speakers don't make a sound outside the test windows, everything switched to 7.1 sound still nothing from rear, switching the plugs front to back or testing on other computers with addon audio cards work fine so it's not the sound system.

So however i try setting it up, the rear speakers won't make a sound outside the test windows.

Summary:
Quad = no rear sounds in or out of tests
7.1 (with disabled center side and woofer) = all work, but not outside tests
Soundsystem = Fine and working, plugs in right places no cable glitches.
Reassigning jacks in the hd audio manager does not help.

Please help and if you require further information just ask.

Regards
Corrimus