Official GIGABYTE Forum

Game controller freezes boot at POST

Game controller freezes boot at POST
« on: March 25, 2013, 01:52:45 pm »
Have run across a bit of an odd problem:

I have recently been bitten (again) by the flight sim bug. I dug out my old Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 USB joystick, which works very well with Windows 7 64-bit....with one exception.

If the joystick is plugged in, the system will freeze on the POST screen during reboot. If you remember to unplug it before reboot and plug it back in after Windows loads, it works perfectly.

This is a new build and has been rock-solid in every other way--I've been super pleased.

Here are the gory details:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
CPU: i3570K
RAM: 8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X series DDR3-1600
GPU: Sapphire 7950

I am running BIOS F18 on the motherboard. I have tried setting legacy USB support to "disabled" in the BIOS, also tried setting USB XHCI handoff to "disabled"--neither of these seems to have an effect.

Has anyone seen this behavior, and does anyone know a work-around (other than leaving the joystick unplugged unless it is actually in use)?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Game controller freezes boot at POST
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 03:01:13 pm »
What is the USB connection 1.1 or 2.0? That be the problem if it is USB 1.1. With the new UEFI bios there have remove a lot things like plug and play.

The only thing I could say is that you could try a add-on USB 1.1 & 2.0 card. I not saying that will fix the problem but it is something to try. 

You have done about almost what you can do in the bios too. I'm just ask is it plug into the USB 2.0 port.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Re: Game controller freezes boot at POST
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 02:12:19 pm »
Update: in case anyone else encounters it, upgrading to the latest beta version of the BIOS, version F19g, fixes this issue.