Official GIGABYTE Forum

Which Z77 motherboard should I buy

Which Z77 motherboard should I buy
« on: April 01, 2013, 07:52:26 am »
Hello all!

I'm sort of anew one in this area :) So here is my problem. I'm upgrading my system and I decided to build a 1155 system. The cpu will be a3570k or a 3770k. Now there is a problem in the motherboard segment :P

As I understand the z77x-up7,  the G1 sniper 3 and the z77xup5 th are the top off the class. But that is out of my financial reach. I was looking more in the area of z77x-ud4h, z77x-ud5h and z77x-up4 th. I know that the TH stands for thunderbolt and ultradurable 5.

The main question or for me here is, what is the main difference between the 4 and the 5 series ?
And the second one is that I know I don't need thunerbolt, that is a fact, so should I invest so much more in the TH version so that I also get ultradurable 5 or should I spare some money and take the udXh?

And there is also a wildcard here that my friend suggested: I should spare the money and take the z77x-ud3h?

Please help a desperate buyer :)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Which Z77 motherboard should I buy
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 08:39:34 am »
Hi there,

I have been using Gigabyte motherboards for over 10 years and they have all proved to be very reliable, even the so called lower spec'd ones.

The real questions you need to be asking are:
What is your budget?
What do you want to do with the system when it's built?
Do you want to overclock?
What other components do you have/are you getting to use in the system?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

smashly

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 08:45:42 am »
I own a GA-Z77MX-D3H running i5 3570k @ 4.2Ghz, 2 x GTX 670 video cards, 16Gb 1600Mhz memory and the system has been stable and consistent to use for the almost the year that I've owned it.

i also own an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard, which actually cost me less, has better cooling, offers better voltage control for oc'ing and has been absolutely stable and a joy to use.
Also USB 2.0 and 3.0 seems to work a hell of a lot faster on my ASRock Z77 Extreme4, my GA-Z77MX-D3H USB 3.0 just seems slow in comparison most the time.

If I was on a tight budget, wanted support for Sli, wanted reasonable voltage control for oc'ing, then my choice if I had to make it again would be the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard over anything Gigabyte has to offer for the same price.

Different story if I was buying an upper end motherboard like the GA-Z77X-UP7, if I had the money for such a luxury I'd definitely prefer that over many other manufacturers motherboards in that price range.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 10:48:11 am »
Hello!

My budget for the motherboard is around 200 eur (that is about the price for the z77x-ud5h). But it is not necessary to go so up end. I will use a i5-3570k, and a gigbyte GV-R797TO-3GD GPU. The ram will be probably 16gb 1800mhz  ddr3. The sistem will be in 95% used for gaming. And thereis also a possibility that the sistem will be OC-ed.

Hi there,

I have been using Gigabyte motherboards for over 10 years and they have all proved to be very reliable, even the so called lower spec'd ones.

The real questions you need to be asking are:
What is your budget?
What do you want to do with the system when it's built?
Do you want to overclock?
What other components do you have/are you getting to use in the system?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 11:14:32 am »
Well, if it were my money I would go for the GA-Z77X-UD4H. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4413&dl=#ov A good, solid all round board with on-board switches which can be a real help when O/C'ing and plenty of other features too.

For more info on the differences between UD4 and UD5 check here: http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/microsite/306/images/ud4.html
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 01:06:30 pm »
Thank you :) Yes, basically that it something for me: a good proven allarounder :) And it also isnt to much expensive. So I think I will go with this one :)

Well, if it were my money I would go for the GA-Z77X-UD4H. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4413&dl=#ov A good, solid all round board with on-board switches which can be a real help when O/C'ing and plenty of other features too.

For more info on the differences between UD4 and UD5 check here: http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/microsite/306/images/ud4.html