Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-EP43-DS3L problems..beep help needed

fritzy

GA-EP43-DS3L problems..beep help needed
« on: April 07, 2013, 03:35:12 am »
Just got a GA-EP43-DS3L motherboard.   I installed in my case with a Intel E8400 cpu.  I plugged in my memory and psu and did a test boot and got continuous short beeps.  There were actually 23 short beeps then it would pause then it would give 23 short beeps, and so on.  I then took the memory sticks out to see if I would get a different beep.  It then gave 10 long beeps then it seemed to power down..then it would come back up and give 10 long beeps, etc..etc.. 

Like i said, the motherboard is GA-EP43-DS3L, the cpu is a intel e8400, and the memory is kingston kvr800d2n6 1 gig stick

any help or pointers people can give would be greatly appreciated.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-EP43-DS3L problems..beep help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:32:14 am »
Continuous short beeps would usually indicate a power error of some sort.

Double check all power connections to make sure that the leads are connected firmly and properly.
Make sure that the motherboard isn't shorting out on the PC case.
Check that the PSU is functioning properly and supplying enough power.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

fritzy

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 03:07:20 pm »
Thank you for the answer absic.  I rechecked all of the connections and was still getting the continuous short beeps (about 23 beeps at a time).  So i took the motherboard completely out of the case and placed it on an antistatic sheet on my desk.  I left the cpu and cpu fan on and then attached the power supply.  Nothing else was installed on the board.  I go 10 long beeps again.  So i then installed 1 stick of ram and it would do the 23 short beeps again. Here are the specs of all of parts installed so far:

GA-EP43-DS3L mobo
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 lga775 cpu
Kingston kvr800d2n6 1gig stick of ram
Antec VP450 - 450watt psu

only pins i connected to the board were the case power switch, the case reset switch, and the fan for the cpu...nothing else at all installed, plugged in, or attached.  Any other thoughts or suggestions?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 03:12:29 pm »
Have you checked for bent/damaged pins in the CPU socket?

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

fritzy

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 04:18:18 pm »
Completely disassembled the parts and searched for bent pins..nothing looks out of the ordinary....Still getting continuous short beeps with power, cpu, and memory stick installed.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 04:39:36 pm »
The only other thing I can think of is to try doing an extended clear of CMOS by removing the power and motherboard battery, and leaving the system for 15 - 30 mins (time for a cup of tea or something stronger!) before re-installing the battery and trying again.

If that doesn't work then can you try a different PSU, just to eliminate that as a possible cause?

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 11:50:49 am »
i didn't want to start a new topic but I have the same problem with my ep43-ds3l, e8400 and 23 short beeps...
The manual says it's a power supply problem but lately I had problems with my CPU fan, so I think I fried my CPU(my pc is about 5 years old only added harddrive and that's it)...
For the poster of this thread - If you solved this problem please tell me what you did.