Official GIGABYTE Forum

Doing my first build ever, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H won't start up on the test boot.

GFroun

When I turn on my PSU, the orange light on the motherboard Power button turns on, once I press that button, the fans on the psu, gpu and cooler will twitch slightly and then everything stops, but the light on the mobo stays on. Also, if I press the power up button again, nothing happens, for the fans to twitch again, I'd have to turn off the psu then turn it back on and press the power button on the motherboard again.

This is my build

Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
Intel i5 3570k
Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus
EVGA Geforce gtx 670 FTW 2gb
650W Supernova EVGA PSU
Corsair vengeance 2x8gb DDR-3 1600

I really don't know what to do and I'm worried I may have short circuited something. It's my first ever build and I'm positive I've done everything correctly but I hope for my sake that I haven't, because at least I could re-do everything instead of having a short-circuited system. I have The 24 pin MB cable connected, and the CPU1 cable to the ATX_12V_2X4 slot on the motherboard.

What I then did was I removed everything and only left the cable between the motherboard and the PSU, the 24 pin MB cable, I switched it on and the psu fan spun for a full 1.5 seconds. Much better than small twitch when everything else was connected.

Can anyone help?

najiro

Even if you forgot to plug the 2x4pin motherboard power cable and left the 24-pin power cable on, pushed the ON button.. it will not damage the motherboard (suppose to be). I did that a couple of times already, I keep on forgetting to plus the 2x4pin power cables and turn the unit on. My hardware is all fine. Have you tried clearing CMOS? Sounds like the PSU is working fine though. No beeps?
WordPress Site Builder - Content Writer - Economist - PC Hardware Enthusiast - Gamer - Foodie

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Check to make sure you don't have the reset & power on connection on the right pins.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

GFroun

Even if you forgot to plug the 2x4pin motherboard power cable and left the 24-pin power cable on, pushed the ON button.. it will not damage the motherboard (suppose to be). I did that a couple of times already, I keep on forgetting to plus the 2x4pin power cables and turn the unit on. My hardware is all fine. Have you tried clearing CMOS? Sounds like the PSU is working fine though. No beeps?

the 2x4 pin power cable is the CPU cable right? In any case, I tried having the 24 pin MB cable as well as the 8 pin CPU cable... removed all other pieces such as ram and gpu... still same issue, the fans will just twitch, the mobo power light stays on and that's it....

I thought it may have been a psu issue... I had hoped that since I bought it off someone (barely used though) but It's not. I placed a paper clip inside two of the 24 pin connectors and the psu fan started spinning just fine.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 05:12:47 pm by GFroun »

GFroun

Check to make sure you don't have the reset & power on connection on the right pins.

How would I check that?

najiro

How would I check that?

as long as you plug one set (ground, +), even if you interchange the reset i/o with the power i/o, it will not harm your motherboard and it should still power up but you would need to press the RESET switch though instead of the POWER switch.

Well it should be in the manual as to where to plug the I/O connectors (HDD led, power, reset, speaker etc)

you should be able to find that in the manual. I think the RED part is the power.
WordPress Site Builder - Content Writer - Economist - PC Hardware Enthusiast - Gamer - Foodie

GFroun

How would I check that?

as long as you plug one set (ground, +), even if you interchange the reset i/o with the power i/o, it will not harm your motherboard and it should still power up but you would need to press the RESET switch though instead of the POWER switch.

Well it should be in the manual as to where to plug the I/O connectors (HDD led, power, reset, speaker etc)

you should be able to find that in the manual. I think the RED part is the power.

I apologize, but I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to do here. I'm quite new to this :/

najiro

How would I check that?

I apologize, but I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to do here. I'm quite new to this :/

ahh wait wait LOL!
the motherboard has its OWN POWER BUTTON LOL!
see the red power button on the right of the ram slots? Just press that LOL!
troubleshoot the I/O connectors later. Hence, I doubt it's the I/O power and reset connectors anyway since you said the system does response with a short boot. Did you try resetting the CMOS for now? Simply remove the CMOS battery for a few seconds and put it back. Also, unplug the video card for now and let's troubleshoot the main components first which is the motherboard, processor, one stick of ram and the power supply. You can disconnect the hard drives/boot drives for now. Let's just see if you reach the BIOS page :)

GFroun

ahh wait wait LOL!
troubleshoot the I/O connectors later. Hence, I doubt it's the I/O power and reset connectors anyway since you said the system does response with a short boot. Did you try resetting the CMOS for now? Simply remove the CMOS battery for a few seconds and put it back. Also, unplug the video card for now and let's troubleshoot the main components first which is the motherboard, processor, one stick of ram and the power supply. You can disconnect the hard drives/boot drives for now. Let's just see if you reach the BIOS page :)

I really appreciate the help.

I didn't connect the monitor though, I'm just trying to see if the fans will spin, and like I said, it's a very short boot of the fans and then they'll stop spinning. Does everything have to be spinning for it work? or do the fans spin only when it's needed?

Also, I did what you suggested, one stick of ram, processor and heatsink fan, motherboard and powersupply.... Same thing keeps happening... the bbios LED comes on for not even a second and goes back off all the while the Power button light on the motherboard stays on.

najiro

ahh wait wait LOL!

I didn't connect the monitor though, I'm just trying to see if the fans will spin, and like I said, it's a very short boot of the fans and then they'll stop spinning. Does everything have to be spinning for it work? or do the fans spin only when it's needed?

Also, I did what you suggested, one stick of ram, processor and heatsink fan, motherboard and powersupply.... Same thing keeps happening... the bbios LED comes on for not even a second and goes back off all the while the Power button light on the motherboard stays on.

the fans should continue spinning as long as it's powered on. hmmm I can't think of anything else. even without plugging the power and reset i/o connectors, you should be able to boot up using the on-board power button on the right of the ram slots. I think you should call your dealer about it or get a technician to troubleshoot it. I would suggest contacting your dealer first.  :)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
What revision is your motherboard?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

GFroun

What revision is your motherboard?

It's revision 1.1

GFroun

ahh wait wait LOL!

the fans should continue spinning as long as it's powered on. hmmm I can't think of anything else. even without plugging the power and reset i/o connectors, you should be able to boot up using the on-board power button on the right of the ram slots. I think you should call your dealer about it or get a technician to troubleshoot it. I would suggest contacting your dealer first.  :)

I think I'm going to remove the cpu and place it again, if that doesn't work... then my final step would be to call the online store I bought it from and try and ask for a replacement.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
When you power up the motherboard, what code are you getting on the LED display, next to the Power Switch?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

GFroun

When you power up the motherboard, what code are you getting on the LED display, next to the Power Switch?

It's come on way too fast to tell.... I don't think a code even comes up... If you can wait for 30 minutes, I'll post a video showing what happens... it's uploading to youtube now.