Official GIGABYTE Forum

MCP Temperature Sensor

fadsarmy

MCP Temperature Sensor
« on: February 03, 2010, 03:34:34 pm »
All the recent nvidia based motherboards I have recently used can have their mcp temperature monitored by some third party software such as Everest. I was wondering, since there is a sensor present on the motherboard, why Gigabyte have not included this in the bios?

I always use Gigabyte boards, purely because of stability and technical support, but I have always found them very deficient in hardware monitoring and fan control. Even my recent £250 board had the same hardware monitring as my £50 one.

nicolatesla

• what, the rabbit?
Re: MCP Temperature Sensor
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 11:42:05 pm »
All the recent nvidia based motherboards I have recently used can have their mcp temperature monitored by some third party software such as Everest. I was wondering, since there is a sensor present on the motherboard, why Gigabyte have not included this in the bios?

I always use Gigabyte boards, purely because of stability and technical support, but I have always found them very deficient in hardware monitoring and fan control. Even my recent £250 board had the same hardware monitring as my £50 one.

The sensors are intended to control the fan speeds, but you may have noticed that the fan speed is never quite fast enough to cool the board to the preferable temperature, it's always hotter than what would cause the board to last for the longest possible time.
This undoubtedly guarantees that the manufacturer will sell more motherboards in a shorter time, to replace the ones that have overheated.
You may also notice that pretty much NO manufacturer makes a sensor system that SHUTS DOWN the board if it's overheated. More money for them again!
We use "CPU ID," a free software monitor, you can pay $20 for the professional version, that allows you to control the fan speed, IF you are using PCM four wire fans...
But for the most part, running fans directly off the power supply ( 5 volts, 7 volts, 12 volts) is the most reliable method, and cheaper, I don't use the motherboard fan connectors.
And again, many manufacturers offer "applications" to monitor temperature and control fan speeds, but the majority of these applications don't work.
And again, the manufacturer claims that the board "saves power" BUT the power saving features don't work. AND they provide a "CPU idle" application that reduces the CPU clock when the CPU is not being loaded- THAT application does not work either.
The point being that the manufacturer WANTS the board to run hot, so they will sell more boards!
AND you can buy an external add on (bay mount) fan control, but the majority of these are very poorly made (made in China)...There are some good ones that cost $250- $350 (made in Germany) these units WILL shut the board down if it overheats.
You are correct! The on board temperature controller DOES suck.
CLUE- My computer has 7 fans, my quad CPU runs 36C at 3 Ghz, but only because I made the effort to keep it cooler.
Go figure. ??? ??? ???

Giga GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, Phenom II 945 X4, Gskill 4GB, Coolermaster, Sapphire HD4870, Velociraptor HDD, 7 fans, Antec 550+, Acer 24" LCD. "I tried Asus, then I bought a real motherboard."