Official GIGABYTE Forum

Only able to boot with the backup BIOS (Z87X-OC)

Only able to boot with the backup BIOS (Z87X-OC)
« on: August 12, 2013, 04:16:02 pm »
Hi all,

I flashed this motherboard yesterday using the @BIOS in my App centre on Windows 8. Everything seemingly seemed to update and it was only when I rebooted that something appeared wrong. The PC kept rebooting and not displaying anything on the screen, it did not post at all and displayed a db error on the LED on the mobo which suggests a bad BIOS update.

Unfortunately I can't seem to be able to clear the BIOS in order to boot unless I switch to the backup_bios which I don't want to use.

I have tried clearing the CMOS but other than that other suggestions seem irrelevant as I don't even see the GIGABYTE splash logo to press alt+f12 or anything?

Please can I have some help?

Andy

Svarog

Re: Only able to boot with the backup BIOS (Z87X-OC)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 07:34:17 pm »
You could use the switches to force the use of the backup BIOS, then flash it to F6 using QFlash. Then put the switch back to the default setting and see if it wants to restore the Main BIOS.
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4,5 GHz | Gigabyte Z87X-OC | 8GB G.Skill ARES 2133 MHz | Zotac GTX 680 4GB | Creative SoundBlaster ZxR | Crucial M4 256GB | OCZ Vertex 120GB | Western Digital 1TB 2,5" | SeaSonic Platinum 760 | Antec P280

Re: Only able to boot with the backup BIOS (Z87X-OC)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 12:05:59 pm »
Exactly the same thing here. I tried to update to F6, but it failed on the main BIOS, and can only boot from the secondary BIOS now. I actually need the newest X02 BIOS as I'm running phase change cooling and have a bit of an issue with the cold boot bug, but don't want to update the secondary F3 BIOS the board shipped with in case I brick that too.

Is there some mechanism of updating the primary BIOS only? All help much appreciated.