Official GIGABYTE Forum

Award BIOS beeps on GA-K8VT800 Rev 2

Award BIOS beeps on GA-K8VT800 Rev 2
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:32:04 pm »
I have a GA-K8VT800 Rev 2.x carrying the most recent Award BIOS version (FG 2006/07/05) according to the Gigabyte website
- With 1x 1GB or 2x 1GB RAM inserted just one "everything's OK" beep occurs on booting
- If I insert 3x 1GB sticks in any order into the 3 RAM sockets in any order, approx 6 seconds after the  "everything's OK" beep, a second beep occurs that sounds identical with the first
- The second beep does not cause the boot process to stop or hesitate and there are no on-screen error messages
- Whether 1x 1GB, 2x 1GB or 3x 1GB sticks are inserted, both BIOS and Windows correctly report a total of 1GB, 2GB or 3GB and the machine functions as perfectly as any PC can
What does this second beep mean?
Does it matter?

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
Re: Award BIOS beeps on GA-K8VT800 Rev 2
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 10:29:01 am »
Am not 100% sure tbh, but if everything works okay I would not worry. With 3 RAM slots being used am guessing it just needs a little longer to configure, due to more strain being put on the FSB.
There's no place like ::1

Re: Award BIOS beeps on GA-K8VT800 Rev 2
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 04:41:53 pm »
A fairly long time ago I emailed Gigabyte Taiwan to ask about this problem...
Because no reply had arrived, I searched for and found this forum.
Suddenly an answer has arrived from Taiwan! I was referred to P14 of the GA-K8VT800 manual - and I didn't even know such a thing existed, having not received one with the PC on purchase. This can be found at
http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/motherboard_manual_k8vt800%28rev2.x%29_e.pdf
Here, the answer is clear: Gigabyte recommend a maximum of 2x double-sided DDR400 RAM modules be installed even though there are three RAM sockets. So I must live with 2GB of RAM unless I fit DDR333 modules, in which case 3x can be installed, but I'm not about to pay out yet more money just to suffer a reduction in speed!