« on: September 17, 2013, 01:59:33 pm »
Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (retail)    
i5 3570k (base clock)    
GA-Z77X-UD3H rev. 1.1
XFX Radeon 7870 Black Edition    
Corsair Vengeance Blue DDR3-1600 CL9    
Seasonic S12II 520    
Problem Abstract: Intermittent display problems on boot.    
Detailed Problem Description: Aprox. one time in four, the display will function. On these times, the monitor will not display the POST screen, though it will boot to Windows. If shut down, on the next start the POST will be shown, but Windows will not. Windows loads properly in either case, verified by start-up sound. Computer successfully shuts down with alt+F4 and enter. Upon third restart, no display for either POST or Windows. This continues on each subsequent restart until power is disconnected for aprox. one minutes. Cycle then repeats. When in Windows, computer functions without error. Resuming from sleep causes no issues. Resuming from hibernation causes the same display problem to activate.    
Steps taken so far: Tested with both ports of graphics card, tested integrated display with graphics card both in and out. Tested with Prime 95 for aprox. one hour without error. Tested with single DIMM in each of four slots. Tested OTHER DIMM in each of four slots. Drivers for graphics card and motherboard installed from CD (NOT updated from internet).    
Notes: This one has got me completely stumped. I've built two virtually identical systems for my wife and myself without error, this one is for my brother-in-law. This sounds like a motherboard in need of an RMA to me, but I'd like a second opinion or two. The GFX card seems not to be at the heart of the problem, as the problem happens with the integrated video as well. Before I RMA the board however I have to ask, could this be a CPU error? A bent pin on the mobo? Pixie dust in the SATA ports? It's the crazy way the cycle repeats that's got me so damn confused. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:01:08 pm by rk404 »

Re: Display problems with GA-Z77X-UD3H
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 10:30:35 pm »
Are you using DisplayPort ?