Official GIGABYTE Forum

My bios fails to boot and speaker reports continuous short beeps (power error)

noel77

My bios fails to boot and speaker reports continuous short beeps (power error). I have tryed changing the power supply (500w and a 750w). The fans spin up and phase lights flash continuly. I tryed removing the graphics card, memory, hard disk, checking the power connections ect with no change. I checked that its not shorting out on the case. I tryed removing the CPU to and it didnt beep then. How can I tell if its a problem with the mother board or the cpu? The phase leds flash all the time to is that normal? I'm not sure if I should send the motherboard back or the cpu i'm totaly at a loss. Anyone help?  :(

UD6

You do not write what system you have. But I hope that you plugged in both power cables into the MBO. So the 2 x 4 12 V too. Often this is forgotten.

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
My bios fails to boot and speaker reports continuous short beeps (power error). I have tryed changing the power supply (500w and a 750w). The fans spin up and phase lights flash continuly. I tryed removing the graphics card, memory, hard disk, checking the power connections ect with no change. I checked that its not shorting out on the case. I tryed removing the CPU to and it didnt beep then. How can I tell if its a problem with the mother board or the cpu? The phase leds flash all the time to is that normal? I'm not sure if I should send the motherboard back or the cpu i'm totaly at a loss. Anyone help?  :(

I think ud6 is correct, possibly you may have forgotten to install the  12v EPS plug onto its connector atthe side of the CPU socket? Can you please check this?

If indeed you have first guess is that you may have faulty PWM's and to RMA the board.

But lets try a few things first

Check the above EPS
try powering on board without GPU, RAM and CPU to reset the onboard DMI
Reset CMOS battery by jumper switch (then put back to its original position)
check if your ram is properly seated

I hope this solves the issue you have.

gilgamesh
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news

noel77

Hi sorry I forgot to say what setup I have:

GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard
Intel i5 core 750 cpu
750 watt power supply
asus radon eah 5700 cucore
crucial 4gb ddr3 1333mhz cl9 1.5v memory
western digital 160 gig sata hard disk
lighton ide dvd burner

I have connected both the 24 pin power connector and the 8 pin power connector to the board. I tested at the back of the board with a multimeter to confirm that both the connection at the pins was good and that the right voltage was present.

I guess it must be some kind of falt on the motherboard or the cpu, as when I remove the cpu I no longer get the short continued bleeping (indicating power problem). I dont think i can test with the multimeter if the power is getting to the cpu.

noel77

Just thought I would tell everyone that I had to RMA the board in the end. The replacement board works fine with no problems at all apart from a few minor issues while I will start in a new thread.