Official GIGABYTE Forum

Issue with RAID on GA-MA790FX-DQ6

MMDE

Issue with RAID on GA-MA790FX-DQ6
« on: November 17, 2013, 04:32:57 pm »
Hey

I got an old GA-MA790FX-DQ6 motherboard. It has worked fine for many years, but recently I've wanted to take advantage of the RAID feature the motherboard offers. My problem is, I can't get the RAID feature to work. I'm aware it can be because of the HDDs, but I'm posting here to make sure that is the case, and also to get a suggestion for how to fix this issue with some other RAID controller or something. The HDDs are WD Caviar Green 2TB SATA/300 64MB.

I think I've been able to set it so the two HDDs are in RAID, but when I boot up WinXP, I just get a blue screen.

Could anyone explain me in exact detail how to set these discs up in RAID using the motherboard, if it is possible that is. Do I just need to install some driver? I've barely touched RAID before.

EDIT:
I will provide pictures of what I've tried to do later today.

2nd EDIT:
I just want to do RAID 1.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 04:58:21 pm by MMDE »

autotech

Re: Issue with RAID on GA-MA790FX-DQ6
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 04:45:21 pm »
First mistake is using 2 x 2t drives that would equal a 4t drive. If you want to use raid and are using windows 7 use 2 x 1t drives and you wont have a problem. Using a raid card wont help  as windows 7 has limitations. Use can use a 4t drive with windows 7 but you have to format it different GPT instead of  NTFS. after you format it to GPT once windows 7 sees it you can change it but then again you are trying to install to it so you are out of luck.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

MMDE

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 04:57:51 pm »
First mistake is using 2 x 2t drives that would equal a 4t drive. If you want to use raid and are using windows 7 use 2 x 1t drives and you wont have a problem. Using a raid card wont help  as windows 7 has limitations. Use can use a 4t drive with windows 7 but you have to format it different GPT instead of  NTFS. after you format it to GPT once windows 7 sees it you can change it but then again you are trying to install to it so you are out of luck.

I should have specified what kind of RAID I want to do. I want to do RAID 1.

As far as I know, that means I'm only up at 2TB, and 2TB WinXP can handle just fine.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 05:05:31 pm by MMDE »

mikeyb5753

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 05:07:01 pm »
is windows installed on the RAID volume or on a separate disk?
F2A88XM-HD3
A8-5500 - Coolermaster Seidon 120M
8GB
2x msi 7850 twin frozr
Corsair CX430M
Sandisk 120GB SSD
Seagate 3TB

MMDE

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 05:13:53 pm »
is windows installed on the RAID volume or on a separate disk?

It's installed on a separate disk.

^ Picture of the motherboard. If you look in the lower left corner, you see 4 of the SATA connectors (they are orange). I've connected the two HDDs I want to put in RAID 1 in the upper two of these connectors and the HDD with the OS is in the lower right.

According to THIS page:
"Storage Interface:
South Bridge:
1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATAII0, SATAII1, SATAII2, SATAII3) supporting up to 4 SATA 3Gb/s devices
Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 0+1"

EDIT:
WinXP boots just fine if the discs are not set in RAID 1 (if that is what I've done, will provide pictures of it later today).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 05:16:28 pm by MMDE »

mikeyb5753

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 08:21:25 am »
OK, how did you enable RAID in BIOS?  Were the options: IDE, AHCI & RAID?  If so, was it initially set to IDE?

F2A88XM-HD3
8GB
2x msi 7850 twin frozr
Corsair CX430M
Sandisk 120GB SSD
Seagate 3TB

MMDE

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 12:15:11 am »
Related information under the various menus in the BIOS menu:

Integrated Peripherals:
OnChip IDE Channel0: Enabled
OnChip SATA Controller: Enabled
OnChip SATA Type: RAID
OnBoard PCIE Device:
Onboard ESATA-II Ctrl: Enabled
Onboard ESATA-II Crl Mode: IDE
Onboard GSATA-II Ctrl: Enabled
Onboard GSATA-II Ctrl Mode: IDE

Advanced BIOS features:
HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability: Disabled

Then I enter FastBuild Utility:
Delete LD, where I delete the LD both channel 3 and 4 occupies, which is the WD HDDs that I want to set in RAID 1.
Define LD, where I select a not occupied LD spot:
LD 2:
RAID 1
Stripe Block: NA
Fast Init: OFF
Gigabyte Boundary: ON
Cache Mode: WriteThru
I assign both HDDs so it says Total Drv: 2.
Then I save and press any other key than Ctrl-Y to use maximum capacity...

Now it seems like LD 2 is set in RAID Mode: RAID 1, with Total Drv: 2 and Capacity (MB) 2000000 and status is Functional.

I exit the FastBuild Utility and reboot the computer. Everything goes well until Windows XP starts loading up, where after a second or two of loading it crashes and I get a blue screen for a quarter of a second before the computer just reboots.

EDIT:
I get no blue screen if I set OnChip SATA Type to Legacy IDE, but then the RAID doesn't work.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:26:08 am by MMDE »

mikeyb5753

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 07:59:45 am »
Plug your windows drive into one of the purple SATA ports.  These are the onboard GSATA ports in BIOS which are already set to IDE and will therefore allow windows to boot.

Ideally, the GSATA ports should be set to AHCI for better performance but this would involve installing windows again.

Also I notice SMART is disabled in BIOS, this should be enabled for peace of mind.

F2A88XM-HD3
8GB
2x msi 7850 twin frozr
Corsair CX430M
Sandisk 120GB SSD
Seagate 3TB

MMDE

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 01:16:32 pm »
Plug your windows drive into one of the purple SATA ports.  These are the onboard GSATA ports in BIOS which are already set to IDE and will therefore allow windows to boot.

Ideally, the GSATA ports should be set to AHCI for better performance but this would involve installing windows again.

Also I notice SMART is disabled in BIOS, this should be enabled for peace of mind.

I did what you said and now it seems to work. :p THANK YOU! :)

I set Onboard ESATA-II Crl Mode to RAID as well.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:17:04 pm by MMDE »

mikeyb5753

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 02:24:13 pm »
you're welcome
F2A88XM-HD3
8GB
2x msi 7850 twin frozr
Corsair CX430M
Sandisk 120GB SSD
Seagate 3TB

MMDE

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 10:31:09 pm »
Now it seems I've run into another issue. Of course I want to know exactly how this RAID system works so I know exactly what to do if a disk breaks down. I ran into the issue when I booted the HDD in IDE mode again, added a couple of files to HDD#1 and deleted the partition on HDD#2 before rebooting the PC and setting it back to RAID again. I've also tried to disconnecting the HDD#2 for a boot. My issue/problem is, I can't seem to be able to re-build the RAID 1. It says it's functional in the RAID menu under FastBuilt Utility, and everything seems like it should in Windows. I've transferred files to it. Waited for a half to a full hour (and there's only 4 files on the HDD#1, all about 1GB each). So everything seems to be going normal, but when I reboot the computer and set it back to IDE mode again the HDD#2 still seem to have no partition, so the RAID doesn't build up again as far as I can see. There is no rebuild function in FastBuild Utility as far as I can see. I also tried to delete the LD with the functional RAID for then to redefine a RAID 1 with those two HDDs, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Anyone know how to rebuild a RAID 1 on this mobo?

EDIT:
I did two reboots with both disks in RAID 1 to see if that would have any effect. I got a blue screen (not of death) when booting up Windows XP. It wanted to check my disk, but I only had like 2-3 seconds to respond, and I couldn't read it that fast (because I didn't expect it), and then it said something about it found allocated space that wasn't used or something. Maybe something about removing or deleting or something. In any case, the HDD with the RAID was then empty when I finally was able to look at it in Windows. -_-' Perhaps if I stop it from doing that check... hmm, or maybe it needs to be on for like x amount of hours before it has compared the two disks or something??? :s

2nd EDIT:
This is so backwards, in any case, if I stop Windows from deleting everything on the disk and then reboot I do get some warning message from FastBuild Utility, and I checked the status of the LD, it said rebuilding. Hmm!! In any case, if a HDD crashes and it does have the same on both HDDs I can at least boot up the other one and take backup of it before messing around with all of these running into the chance of deleting all the content on the disk again. Not THAT a huge problem at the moment, because all the data is on some of my many other HDDs, but yeah, shouldn't be this difficult and tricky to rebuild the array. I'm going to check if I have the latest BIOS.

3rd EDIT:
I guess I should be doing this:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/how-to-disable-the-chkdsk-check-disk-on-start-up/35f58c69-7a6c-4e1b-aec3-26d7131ec643
:p
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 12:21:52 am by MMDE »