Official GIGABYTE Forum

new CPU headache! NEED HELP

new CPU headache! NEED HELP
« on: November 19, 2013, 03:26:19 am »
My current build is

GA990FXA-UD3 mother board revision 1.1 bios version F8

MSI Twin Frozr 760 videocard

I have had an AMD FX-4100 cpu in it for a little under a year...  and today decided to upgrade it to the AMD FX-6300...  knowing that i should just be able to drop the new chip into the board and boot up...  thats what i did...  and as soon as it got to the windows splash screen i would get a BSOD..  after talking to a couple different pc techs at my local Frys electronics and Friendly computers..  i was told that the two chips are different chipsets and that i would need to reinstall windows in order to get the new CPU to work.... so that is what i did..  or well tried to do..  the first time i tried it got about half way done installing and i got another BSOD...  so i gave up for a while and then tried again..  it got through the "Expanding system files" or whatever..  and then when the computer rebooted.. it got past the POST and went to a screen that says "Loading Operating System..." and just sat there...  I am at a loss as to what to do now..  MANY MANY people have told me not to mess with trying to flash the bios as i shouldnt need to in this instance..   If anyone here can give me some insight or some help..  I will be VERY much appreciated....  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 03:27:09 am by OdinValknir »

autotech

Re: new CPU headache! NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 12:29:25 pm »
Simple put in your old processor and flash bios to F9. F8 does not support your new chip.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 03:12:15 pm »
Update the BIOS and reinstall Windows with all power saving features off.Turbo core C6 ,C1 ,APM and so on put them to off in BIOS .
Set the CPU to 3 Ghz or 3,5Ghz ,install Windows ,then update Windows after taking care of the firewall settings.
After the last update restart and install the 2  FX patches ,names are in my signature.Windows will not install them as updates.

After this re enable the stuff in BIOS ,but keep the C1 off still.
If you want to overclock keep APM off as well.

FX 6300 is a great CPU.Had a FX 4100 as well.
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 05:33:39 pm »
OK...  So I DO need to flash the bios?  I will need to put the old CPU back in and reinstall windows AGAIN lol..  I have talked to a lot of people who told me time and time again that the BIOS version i have now is sufficient...  but i have had a few people tell me its not...  according to the gigabyte website..  the 6300 requires version F9..  i have F8..  so you guys think a bios update will fix the issue?   I was able to reinstall windows using the new chip..  I can access the bios and WAS able to login to windows and install drivers and all that..  then suddenly i was getting BSOD and physical mem dumps..  now.  the computer will boot..  i can get into the bios..  and the pc will boot all the way to windows login screen..  and then suddenly my mouse and KB dont work... lol..  yet when inside bios..  the keyboard works just fine

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 06:06:13 pm »
here is the full rundown of everything i have done up until right this second when i am typing this..

I bought the new cpu and brought it home..
popped it into the board and booted up.. it got to the windows splash screen and BSOD.. then it went into a reboot loop.. it would BSOD and then reboot.. get all the way to the windows splash.. and reboot again so on and so forth..
I spoke with a tech at Fry's who does nothing but build new PCs all day.. he told me that because the 6300 is a piledriver and the 4100 is a bulldozer.. they are different chipsets and that windows would need to be reinstalled in order for the mobo to accept it.. he said that the BIOS shouldnt need upgrading because it is only one version behind and should not be an issue.. after installing windows.. it took a couple tries because i got a BSOD while trying to install.. reboot and try again.. it worked the 2nd time.. i was able to get all the way into the desktop and install drivers and windows updates.. rebooted to finalize win updates and started getting physical mem dump BSOD's today.. I booted up.. got to the win login screen and my mouse and KB wouldnt work.. yet the KB work in bios... and now.. I have put the old cpu back in.. put the windows disk into the drive changed the boot device to CD-rom and am sitting at the bios screen.. waiting to start windows install again

I am still getting replies from people on another forum telling me that i DO NOT need to update the bios..  but according to Everest.. my bios version is F8 of revision 1.1    and the cpu support list says the FX-6300 needs F9..  so if you guys think that is the BEST option for fix..  I will do it once i get windows installed with the old CPU again..  I know this shouldnt be this difficult..  and I dont know what else it could be.. 

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 06:38:40 pm »
I just spoke with a support tech at GIGABYTE..  gave him all the same info i gave here..  and he suggested flash the bios to F9 and see if that helps..  i just reinstalled windows using the old cpu..  so i can do 1 of 2 things here..  either pop the new cpu in with the fresh install and see what happens..  OR.. flash the bios and then reinstall windows again with the new cpu..

mikeyb5753

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 07:11:58 pm »
you need to update the bios before installing the new cpu, then it will work properly
F2A88XM-HD3
A8-5500 - Coolermaster Seidon 120M
8GB
2x msi 7850 twin frozr
Corsair CX430M
Sandisk 120GB SSD
Seagate 3TB

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 05:05:23 am »
yes.. the bios update did fix the issues i was having..  and now it may appear that i have another..  every so often.. though it seems random at the moment..  I am still getting a BSOD physical memory dump..  it has happened 2 or 3 times since i got it all up and running...  once while installing windows updates..  and the 2nd time while playing a game..  I have ruled out temperature issues..  under load the CPU only gets to about 35 or 40C .. and is around 16-21C idle..  my power supply is a 650W ...  I have ran Chkdsk and memtest a couple times and havent found any issues.. all 6 cores are reading in all the programs i have installed to monitor and in bios..    So i really dont know what could be causing it..  I am waiting to see it again and get the exact error code that comes up..  though i am hopeful that it doesn't happen again..  if it does i will post the code here and google it and see what it says.. 

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 10:06:47 am »
Set the OS to generate a small memory dump at crash and use bluesceenviewer to interpret the error.

You should re install W7 as i told you after the BIOS update. ,but prior to this you should also test the RAM with Memtest for 6 hours at least.
If BSOD-s continue DIsable Coreboost function in BIOS as well and see what happens.
The power supply should deliver the proper power for the C6 and CPB states so you could swap out that too with a quality one to rule it out.
A quality 500W PSU is good enough for that video card.

What power supply do you have exactly?!
Post the full configuration of the PC.
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

mikeyb5753

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 12:58:34 pm »
when running windows update, dont bother with their device drivers - always download from manufacturers site.

it'll either be a driver issue or PSU.  the PSU rating isn't the only factor to consider when choosing one...  cheap unbranded ones can and will cause problems.  always go for a branded one such as corsair, seasonic.  they will cost you more but give you virtually zero hassle

F2A88XM-HD3
A8-5500 - Coolermaster Seidon 120M
8GB
2x msi 7850 twin frozr
Corsair CX430M
Sandisk 120GB SSD
Seagate 3TB

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 04:17:31 pm »
All of the updates that windows is giving me..  and there are about 170 of them with a fresh install.  all the updates are security updates for windows and .net framework...  I am attempting to install them again and see if I get another BSOD...  so i can record which BSOD number i am getting