Official GIGABYTE Forum

Bent pins, my fault??? Z87-OC

Bent pins, my fault??? Z87-OC
« on: December 09, 2013, 04:23:09 pm »
Hello,
Before one month I bought a Gigabyte Z87X-OC. During the month I was buying the rest of the parts that I needed for my new tower. When I put all the parts together I got the black screen effect with no BIOS loading. I used some testers for the PSU and the motherboard and the PSU was fine but the motherboard not. So I returned the motherboard to the retailer to check it and replace it as part of the warranty. They told me that the pins of the CPU were bent and they told me that this is out of warranty. I asked them to return it to the official supplier of Greece, Info Quest Technologies. They told me the same that the pins were bent that is out of the warranty because that can happen only because of bad usage and I should checked the pins before. It's supposed that I gave 200€ for a top quality (is it really???) motherboard and I should check the pins because a brand new 200€ motherboard can have faults??? Also I am sure that I have checked the motherboard and returned it then again they would tell me the same! And I have assemble many motherboards Intel and AMD but I was so sure about that motherboards that I did not check it! Furthermore we are talking about an Intel LGA 1150 motherboard!!! It is impossible to bent the pins trying to put on the CPU!!! The CPU is flat and has no pins on it in order to harm the motherboard! Also there is only way to mount the CPU on the board and the you just leave gravity to do the rest! There is no noeed to put effort or power in orfer to fit in the CPU on the board! I asked the retailer and googled the internet to see if I am crazy and I did this but guess what!!! It CAN happen!! In many cases in the internet the pins of the motherboard are bent from the beginning!!!!! What is the result? I feel stupid for giving 200€ for a supposed top quality MB and the worse is that also the official service in Greece made me believe so! Also now in my bedroom I have a 1200€ tower sitting reminding all these stuff. I am asking the official Gigabyte to take some action because all this story is very bad reputation in terms of quality, marketing and service. I repeat that searching the internet you will find many similar cases and only having experience with this socket and generally Intel sockets you will know that bending the pins of the CPU with only trying to mount it is very difficult and you achieve it only if you really want it!
I am waiting for the official Gigabyte take some action!
Thank you all for your time...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:20:02 pm by angelossj4 »

Re: Bent pins, my fault??? Z87-OC
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 09:51:47 pm »

Hello my friend,

It 's really sad to have a useless new tower that is so expensive at the same time.
I really have quite extensive experience in assembling computers and I can assure you that it is impossible to bend the pins in the particular socket, unless you start hitting the motherboard, (I attach a picture below for those who are suspicious) because simply these processors are completely flat and they can be placed only in one way.
Sometimes motherboards actually come out of  the factory with faults like bended pins as yours and in that case if of course the manufacturer is matronal, will admit the problem and cover the costumer with the warranty especially when we are talking about such an expensive part.
I had the impression that Gigabyte would be better than others because of its brand but I am not sure anymore about its costumer service. Lately I was thinking of an upgrade to my PC with a Gigabyte motherboard and also maybe a graphic card of the same company but I should reconsider about that more seriously ....

I hope you will find a solution soon!

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 10:29:21 pm »
Thanks for replying! I hope to have a reply from someone in Gigabyte. The frustrating thing is that the suppliers say that they can't do anything because if they replace it they will absorb the cost because this is Gigabyte's policy about bent pins. So maybe the solution for defective motherboards according to them is to absorb the cost the final consumer! They told me that this is the policy because every motherboard before exists the factory is checked for specifically this problem that I encountered. I believe that there is a check reduces the number of defective motherboards that reach the retailers,  but I also believe that unfortunateley some defective motherboards do reach the retailers. And that is not only from my experience with this board but from asking retailers and searching the internet. I hope that the policy of Gigabyte is not as the suppliers described  but respect the consumer.

Nelly

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 10:44:44 pm »
Maybe email Gigabyte UK, they may help you with a contact for Gigabyte in Greece>>  returns@gbt-tech.co.uk
i7 4770K @, Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H, G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10,
Gigabyte GTX 780 WF OC 3GB @ 1215/3713, Corsair HX 750 Modular PSU,
Samsung 256GB SSD 830, Creative ZxR, Thermalright Silver Arrow,
NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT, Corsair Carbide Air 540

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 10:52:30 pm »
Maybe email Gigabyte UK, they may help you with a contact for Gigabyte in Greece>>  returns@gbt-tech.co.uk

Thanks for the email address mate! Unfortunately in the official greek Gigabyte website I couldn't find any email or phone number in order to contact. I will definitely use that address! Thanks again!

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 01:22:45 am »
Look at the back of the mother board book.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 12:45:00 pm »
Look at the back of the mother board book.
If i remember correctly there were not any contact information for Greece. But now I cannot check it because I've returned the motherboard with the box and its user manual hoping for replacement.

dmdilks

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 02:30:42 pm »
http://www.gigabyte.com.gr/

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx

I've searched the site but there are no contact information for Greece. I used the technical support and explained my case and I am waiting for a response. I've used the technical support, sent an e-mail to returns@gbt-tech.co.uk and opened this thread and I am waiting for an answer to one of all these. Thanks!

Nelly

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 02:42:53 pm »
Hopefully Gigabyte UK will give you the nearest RMA centre to Greece, if their isn't one in Greece.

Here in the UK Gigabyte is the only motherboard manufacturer we can send to UK, majority of the others have a Holland RMA centre for Europe.
i7 4770K @, Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H, G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10,
Gigabyte GTX 780 WF OC 3GB @ 1215/3713, Corsair HX 750 Modular PSU,
Samsung 256GB SSD 830, Creative ZxR, Thermalright Silver Arrow,
NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT, Corsair Carbide Air 540

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 02:24:17 pm »
I've got a reply from the technical support. I can say that is very unsatisfying;
Dear Angelos Angelidis,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, the bent pin issue usually belongs to physically damaged and not covered by warranty. We suggest you to contact with the local supplier (where you puchase this product) to see if they can help you arrange repair with repairing fee.

If you cannot get help from your supplier, please contact local distributor. Please click HERE for local distributor contact information.

Regards,
GIGABYTE

And this is my reply to them;
I have already contacted with Info-Quest SA and refused to replace the motherboard as part of my warranty. Also I can't understand why I should pay repairing fee for something that was bought defective. As you said this issue USUALLY belongs to physically damaged. This however does not mean that damaged was caused by me or that it was physical. I have searched the internet and found a lot of cased where defective motherboards with bent pins where bought brand new. I was hoping for some respect for the consumer by Gigabyte.

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 06:31:58 pm »
I would like to add something from the site of the gigabyte about the motherboard http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4514#ov

Gold Plated CPU Socket, DDR and PCI Express Slots
GIGABYTE 8 series motherboards come equipped with gold plated hardware for the most crucial areas where your motherboard has contact with other components; gold plated CPU socket, gold DDR3 slots and PCI Express slots. Using gold plated CPU socket and slots means that enthusiasts are guaranteed absolute reliability and longevity for the CPU, memory and graphics cards, no matter how many times you switch them out.

If the sockets are so durable as Gigabyte claims that you can switch out CPUs many times can really the pins be bent from trying to fit a CPU for the first time?

dmdilks

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 03:29:17 pm »
If the sockets are so durable as Gigabyte claims that you can switch out CPUs many times can really the pins be bent from trying to fit a CPU for the first time?

Those pins are not durable like they say. If they are than why are they saying the board is out warranty if you bent them.

I had a board I got used one time and it had a bent pin. I was able to fix if myself. The pins are bent down or across ea other.

If you are really careful you might be able to get them back in place. If they are not going to take it back than what you do have to lose.

Do not touch them with your fingers. Use a very small screw driver or a utility knife.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 03:32:40 pm by dmdilks »

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 06:35:55 pm »

Those pins are not durable like they say. If they are than why are they saying the board is out warranty if you bent them.

I had a board I got used one time and it had a bent pin. I was able to fix if myself. The pins are bent down or across ea other.

If you are really careful you might be able to get them back in place. If they are not going to take it back than what you do have to lose.

Do not touch them with your fingers. Use a very small screw driver or a utility knife.

Thanks dmdilks for the support. I think maybe Gigabyte should think again its policy about warranties and what promises. Trying to fix the pins by myself will be my last resort. But for now I have some good news to post. The technical support replied me this;

Dear Angelos Angelidis,

In order to verify problem, please provide us the information below:

1.) the S/N number,
2.) the image of your purchase receipt,
3.) image of bent pin,
4.) the information of your supplier (ex: the Name, Address, contact person...etc),

After we receive the information you provide, we will forward your mail and see if we can do further help.

Regards,
GIGABYTE

I sent them the information asked and I hope to have a happy end.

dmdilks

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 09:49:28 pm »
I wish Abit was still around. When it came to a warranty they had the best service next to Intel. If you have problem with a Intel board.

Plus if you call early enough. They will ship out a replacement that same day and over night it to your.

You put the bad board into the same box. Slap on the new shipping label from in side the box. Drop it off to the UPS and it didn't cost you a dime.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:50:11 pm by dmdilks »