Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z87X-UD4H USB problems, also questions about Corsair H60 power connection

Greetings,

Within the last week I purchased and installed a GA-Z87X-UD4H motherboard and i7 4770k CPU on Windows 7 64bit to replace my old EVGA 790i Ultra SLI Deluxe + Intel Q9550 CPU on Windows Vista 64bit.  Performance is excellent, except that I have been experiencing a problem with my USB devices being recognized when I wake the computer from sleep mode.

When the computer goes into sleep mode, I am unable to wake it back up from sleep mode, as the computer does not respond to input from either my mouse or keyboard.  It will not wake up if I normally press the power button, either .  My only option is the reset button or holding down the power button.  Upon the next start windows asks me if I want to start normally, but I can't select any options because the keyboard and mouse continue to be unresponsive.  Only after the timer has counted down and windows fully boots normally will my keyboard and mouse begin working again.  Today, I also had the keyboard and mouse being unresponsive when I turned on my computer from a complete power off.  I never had this issue with my old MOBO and CPU, and the GPU has stayed the same between upgrades.  I have the keyboard and mouse plugged into the USB 3.0 slots on the rear IO panel, if that helps.

Could this be at all related to the Haswell USB 3.0 problems I've read about?  Supposedly those were fixed with a C2 something or other.

My current BIOS version is F5, can this be fixed with a BIOS update to F7?  Also, how do I go about Flashing my BIOS?  I know that this motherboard has a Dual BIOS and I'm not sure how that works.  Can I flash one BIOS and keep the other, or do I have to flash both?  I want to avoid bricking my motherboard, so should I use the Windows @BIOS software to flash my BIOS or do it with a USB, and how do I go about this?

On another note, I have a second Gen Corsair H60 watercooler.  It has separate power connectors (both three pin) for the fan and water pump.  Corsair says the pump needs a full 12 volts all the time.  At the moment I have the fan power connector plugged into CPU_FAN, and the radiator fan power connector plugged into "CPU_OPT".  In the BIOS I have the CPU/OPT Fan Speed Control set to "Disable" so both run at maximum speed.  How should I configure my setup so that the pump receives a full 12 volts (runs at max speed) while the radiator fan is variable based on reported CPU temperature?

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I wanted to include enough information up front so that I might not waste other people's time later.

Thanks,

Alex

MisterEd

On another note, I have a second Gen Corsair H60 watercooler.  It has separate power connectors (both three pin) for the fan and water pump.  Corsair says the pump needs a full 12 volts all the time.  At the moment I have the fan power connector plugged into CPU_FAN, and the radiator fan power connector plugged into "CPU_OPT".  In the BIOS I have the CPU/OPT Fan Speed Control set to "Disable" so both run at maximum speed.  How should I configure my setup so that the pump receives a full 12 volts (runs at max speed) while the radiator fan is variable based on reported CPU temperature?
The pump needs to be on a constant 12V. You can put it on one of the system FAN headers. Any of the 4 systems fan headers should work if the speed control is disabled. SYS_FAN4 should be ideal since it is a 3-pin header that has no speed control.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.0 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | Windows 7 Ult 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2 (4x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 | Windows 7 Home Prem  64-bit

Okay, this is what I thought.  I had wondered if there was a way to use the CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT on separate speed control settings, but it looks like that's not the case.  Thanks!  ;D

Alex

Since I can't edit my initial post, I'll put this here.

After further investigating, it turns out my computer is in fact not going into sleep mode, but rather the display turns off after 10 minutes, and when that happens, will not turn back on again.  I assumed the state my computer was in was sleep mode, as my old motherboard's sleep mode did not shut any fans or lights off in the case, so I extrapolated that this motherboard was doing the same.  My error.  I still can't seem get the display to come back on again with my mouse and keyboard.  I unplugged my mouse and plugged it back in, and I heard windows detect a device being removed and added.  Also, I mashed some buttons on the keyboard and heard some of the windows "dings".  So it appears as though my video device simply won't reactivate the signal to my monitor, or whatever happens when it should.  It really shouldn't be my GPU, since it was working normally prior to the new MOBO, CPU, and Win 7 install.

Edit:  I set the computer to turn off the display after 1 minute and once it did that, I was able to resume the computer with the mouse and keyboard without issue.  Windows is set to NOT go into sleep mode what so ever, so I'm not sure what is going on.  It appears as though when my computer sits idle for more than 10-20 minutes I am unable to resume using it because my monitor won't receive a signal, yet windows is active and functional when this happens.  Then, when I restart my computer with the reset button my mouse and keyboard do not function until I have reached the windows login screen.

I am also still having the issue where my keyboard and mouse are indeed NOT responsive after a restart until I make it to the windows login screen.

Thanks,

Alex
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 06:50:15 am by Acidicheartburn »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
My current BIOS version is F5, can this be fixed with a BIOS update to F7?  Also, how do I go about Flashing my BIOS?  I know that this motherboard has a Dual BIOS and I'm not sure how that works.  Can I flash one BIOS and keep the other, or do I have to flash both?  I want to avoid bricking my motherboard, so should I use the Windows @BIOS software to flash my BIOS or do it with a USB, and how do I go about this?

You can only flash the main bios. The Backup is there just in case something go wrong. Plus if you do the update do what it tells you to with USB driver.

If that doesn't help you have one more option with Tweak town. http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 11:08:48 am by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.