Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P35-DS4 rev 2.0: HDD not detected during Windows 7 x64 install

Hello,

I have an older system that I am looking to upgrade. It is currently running windows xp 32 bit on a hitachi 500 GB drive. I would like to put Windows 7 64 bit and 8 GBs of RAM into it, but when I try to install Windows 7 64 bit on it, it does not see the HDD. What have I done so far:

Made sure the hard drive was seen in the BIOS.
Downloaded and put on a usb stick the ICH9 ahci/raid drivers: No luck (sata cable was plugged into the sata 0 yellow port, not the purple one)
tried installing with ahci disabled: no luck
Plugged into the purple Gigabyte sata connectors, used the lastest preboot ahci driver from gigabyte on the usb drive: No luck (made sure the onboard sata was enabled in BIOS) Windows reported that The [GIGABYTE GBB36X Controller] device driver could not be installed. Contact your vendor for an updated driver. I believe this was the latest, as I got it right off the website.
Updated BIOS to F14: No change.
Tried different versions of windows 7 64 bit: No change
Tried different hard drives, including other hitachi and western digital: No change
Formated the drive within windows: No change
Did a quick low level format erasing MBR and partitions: No change
Tried Windows 7 32 bit: WORKED! Unfortunately I want 8 GBs of RAM, so not a complete work around.

So trying to install Windows 64 wont see the drive, but Windows 32 bit works. Any ideas? Could really use a tip!

Regards,

Shawn
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 10:45:23 am by shodg001 »

Re: GA-P35-DS4 rev 2.0: HDD not detected during Windows 7 x64 install
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 11:55:30 am »
Also, it may help to mention that the windows images I am using are the official MS ones that are available for download and burning.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.