Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z68XP-UD3P - 20pin USB 3.0 Issue

Orias

GA-Z68XP-UD3P - 20pin USB 3.0 Issue
« on: December 30, 2013, 06:10:34 pm »
Hi all,

Here's an interesting one that I can't seem to get to the bottom of! I have just installed an IcyBox IB-867 5.25" card reader/USB hub into my PC. I have hooked up all of the connectors required (1 x 20-pin internal USB 3.0 interface, 2 x USB internal connections, 1 x SATA and 1 x 4-pin power). All of the USB connectors work fine, so I know that part is connected properly and there is power.

The problem is with the actual card-reader slots. The power light doesn't come on, and no cards are recognised when I insert them. However, it DOES work if I pop the PC open whilst it's running, unplug the 20-pin USB 3.0 cable from the motherboard, and plug it back in again (whilst the PC is still running). At this point windows detects a new device, the card slot power-indicator turns on, and everything works fine. As soon as I turn the PC off and back on again, the card reader is no longer detected. Basically, if I want to use the card reader, I have to unplug and re-insert the internal USB 3.0 connector whilst the PC is running every time.

I am fairly sure that this must be either a BIOS or an Operating System issue, but I can't figure out what ... and why the reader isn't being recognised immediately on boot. I've messed with all the BIOS settings with USB 3.0 support, USB Legacy support etc etc, but nothing works. It's frustrating because I know it's not an issue with the card reader, or the USB 3.0 connector on the motherboard, as they both work fine if I disconnect & reconnect with the PC running. Somewhere there is a setting hiding from me, I am sure!! Anyone got any ideas? Here are my PC specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P - Firmware Version F7
Intel i7-2600K
ATI Radeon R9 290
16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz
Windows 7 64-bit (SP1 + all updates)
128BG SSD for OS
2 x 2tb 7400 HDD's

Thanks very much for any help!