Official GIGABYTE Forum

Date and Time BIOS reset problem on 945P S3

Date and Time BIOS reset problem on 945P S3
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:23:04 am »
Hi, I am having this strange problem with BIOS time and date:
 Sometimes (not always), usually after more than 10 hours off time,  my system's BIOS time resets to 0:00 and the date to Jan 1st 2008, after I shut down and power OFF the PSU (my PSU has a ON/OFF switch). The other custom settings I have remain unchanged, they do not reset.
I have changed the CMOS battery three times and still no change. I have flashed the BIOS to the latest version.
If I leave the PSU power switch ON, then everything is OK.
I am on a dual boot system (Windows XP SP3/Linux) handled by Acronis OS Selector. 
Can anyone help, please?

Thanks

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
Re: Date and Time BIOS reset problem on 945P S3
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 03:10:58 pm »
Hi, I am having this strange problem with BIOS time and date:
 Sometimes (not always), usually after more than 10 hours off time,  my system's BIOS time resets to 0:00 and the date to Jan 1st 2008, after I shut down and power OFF the PSU (my PSU has a ON/OFF switch). The other custom settings I have remain unchanged, they do not reset.
I have changed the CMOS battery three times and still no change. I have flashed the BIOS to the latest version.
If I leave the PSU power switch ON, then everything is OK.
I am on a dual boot system (Windows XP SP3/Linux) handled by Acronis OS Selector. 
Can anyone help, please?

Thanks

All the hall marks of a flat cmos bettery, however if you have changed this three times then its a faultyboard-simple as! Asd you know the cmos battery provides trickle power to the CMOS chip when the pc is not switched on! Have you check the CMOS jumper switch? if its in the correct position-chances are then you have a faulty board.

gilgamesh
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:29:31 am »

All the hall marks of a flat cmos bettery, however if you have changed this three times then its a faultyboard-simple as! Asd you know the cmos battery provides trickle power to the CMOS chip when the pc is not switched on! Have you check the CMOS jumper switch? if its in the correct position-chances are then you have a faulty board.

gilgamesh

Thanks a lot for your answer.
Actually, the motherboard doesn't have a jumper on, that should be used only when I want to clear CMOS. That's the Gigabyte 945p S3 design, as I read in the manual.
If it was a faulty board, why it's only the date and time that get reset, and not the other settings as well?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:33:05 am by evgenisco »

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 03:00:55 pm »

gilgamesh

Thanks a lot for your answer.
Actually, the motherboard doesn't have a jumper on, that should be used only when I want to clear CMOS. That's the Gigabyte 945p S3 design, as I read in the manual.
If it was a faulty board, why it's only the date and time that get reset, and not the other settings as well?

Strange

Obviously you know how CMOS battery and how CMOS works so I will not teach you how to suck eggs. However thatsthe firstthing that comes to mind. I know its a different manufactures board in my example but...

ON my DFI x58 ut you had two jumpers RED for resetting the RTL and blue for resseting all bios settings but since therei s no jumper for that.......

but if you dont have a jumper then its even more strange as if it forgets date time, surely it would forget the other settings well.

There is another option could it be that it is reading from the backup bios?

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 10:03:43 am »
Another strange thing is that if I clear CMOS, the time and date are not affected, they do not reset along with the settings.
Definitely, there must be something I'm missing...  ???

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 11:31:43 am »
Another strange thing is that if I clear CMOS, the time and date are not affected, they do not reset along with the settings.
Definitely, there must be something I'm missing...  ???

THat is just like what i talked about above, there are two jumpers, one to set RTC AND  the other to clear CMOS on the dfi boards.

Just thought is it possible that its booting up from the BACKUP BIOS hence the time /date reset?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:43:14 am by gilgamesh »

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 06:08:05 pm »

THat is just like what i talked about above, there are two jumpers, one to set RTC AND  the other to clear CMOS on the dfi boards.

Just thought is it possible that its booting up from the BACKUP BIOS hence the time /date reset?

Thanks for bearing with me :)
There is a header for clearing the CMOS on the board, that you can short with a jumper. Default doesn't include the jumper to avoid improper use of this header.
As I see in the manual, there is a "Dual BIOS" menu in the BIOS, that I haven't messed with yet...I wonder what would happen if I deleted the backup BIOS?

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 10:43:41 am »

erm you cannot delete the backup bios, i beleive its ROM only. Please do NOT attempt to dele this!!!

gilgamesh

Thanks for bearing with me :)
There is a header for clearing the CMOS on the board, that you can short with a jumper. Default doesn't include the jumper to avoid improper use of this header.
As I see in the manual, there is a "Dual BIOS" menu in the BIOS, that I haven't messed with yet...I wonder what would happen if I deleted the backup BIOS?

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 09:48:04 am »
It seems not to be a BIOS problem, but a Windows problem. I have installed Chameleon clock and checked the setting "block third-party time adjustments" and the problem is almost gone...only the time is sometimes a few minutes behind, but no more time and date resetting to 0:00/1 jan 2008. So, I'll have to check with mr. Gates and see what the problem is :)