Official GIGABYTE Forum

Messed up

Messed up
« on: January 11, 2014, 06:20:09 pm »
I have just replaced my old graphics card with a shiny new Gigabyte gtx 770, and a beast it is too, however like all dopes, I decided to have a look at my HD configuration while I was there. My motherboard is quite old by todays standards, it is a GA-EX58-UD3R. I have 4 sata drives connected, but I have always had problems that the one drive sometimes gets missed on boot up, so in my wisdom I thought I would have a look at how they are all connected...bad move.

The word confused comes to mind, I have a dual boot system with windows 7 and XP and initially nothing would boot up after I moved the connections about, however having moved the Windows 7 HD to the top in the bios at least that works, however XP doesn't.I use easus to look at the discs and I named them so I know that Windows 7 sat on 'disc1' and xp sat on 'disc 2', obviously that no longer applies after I shifted the cables about.

1) Can someone explain in simple terms how discs should be connected to the 6 SATA slots on the MB, presumably it matters or I wouldn't have all this trouble, are there specific ones that my 2 operating system discs should be plugged into? I just re plugged everything in the first 4, not correct I assume.

Any help would be really appreciated as I really don't want to re-install XP

Thanks

Paul

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Messed up
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 12:55:15 am »
Go into the bios and in the advanced bios Features.  Look in Hard Disks Boot Priority in there you should able to move the drives around.

Look for the drive that has Win 7 on it and move it to the top slot. Try that till you get it to boot.

It really doesn't matter where they are connected as long as you have the drive boots to windows on the top.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.