Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z87M-D3H randomly seeing ssd and bluray drive during boot up

GA-Z87M-D3H randomly seeing ssd and bluray drive during boot up
« on: January 13, 2014, 09:41:09 am »
Hi all,

I'm having a problem where my GA-Z87M-D3H motherboard is randomly not seeing two of my 3 drives connected. When I power on the computer it will post as normal, then once the gigbyte logo disappears, it just hangs there with a blank screen. Now, when I hit F12 to select the boot sequence, I can then select my SSD or Bluray, and the system will boot as normal. Also, when I go into bios setting (DEL), can can see the drives - most of the time. Sometimes they do not appear. Sata cables have been checked to make sure that they are inserted securely in place.

I have checked my drives, GPU, memory and PSU on another gigabyte board (amd one) and they all work perfectly. My Z87 board had bios F8 - I  have upgraded to F9a Beta. I get the same result with both.

So, I'm stuck and looking for suggestions. Once the system has booted up, it is stable and runs super fast and cool. Could this be an issue with the sata cables I'm using? Are there certain cables that this motherboard is not compatible with. I assumed that all sata cables were the same. Below I have listed my hardware in this build (in case any component is causing the problem due to compatibility issues).

System:-
Mobo - GS-Z87M-D3H
CPU - 4770s
GPU - GTX 560 ti
PSU - Cosair CX750
RAM - Cosair - 8gb
SSD - OCZ Vertex 100gb (system disk)
HDD - Seagate (games + data disk - NOT bootable)
Bluray - Pioneer

Cheers TekkenDP

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-Z87M-D3H randomly seeing ssd and bluray drive during boot up
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 03:14:15 pm »
In the the bios which one is the first boot on the first boot option? I my Gigabyte boards I have to put it Windows boot to make it boot.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Re: GA-Z87M-D3H randomly seeing ssd and bluray drive during boot up
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 12:33:31 am »
I have/had this issue on my Z87X-D3H.

Took me ages to kind of sort. I had to flash the beta bios, reset the bios numerous times and keep swapping the sata ports of each device until it detected everything. I don't know what fixed it as it was so inconsistent and took hours/days of trial and error to find a combo that worked.
The only thing that was detected consistently was my DVD-RW, both SSD's and my HDD were intermittent.

I say I kind of fixed it because I can't use sleep. If I use sleep my HDD will never be detected when the system wakes and if I shut down/restart none of my drives will be detected. Till I totally remove the power to the PC at the mains and hold the power button to remove any residual. I then have to go into the bios and redo the boot order again. Then it will work fine until next time it sleeps.

So not at all ideal. I've been seriously disappointed with this board. I went with gigabyte because my X48-DS4 was fantastic. But with the sata issues and the 4 ram stick issues I've seen mentioned, this will probably be my last Gigabyte board. Don't get me wrong, it's great when it works. But faulty sata and ram systems and unable to use sleep, all basic requirements, is not good at all.