Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R Worked on bench but now only splash screen.

GA-X58A-UD3R Worked on bench but now only splash screen.
« on: February 27, 2010, 04:49:23 pm »
Maybe somebody has experienced and sorted this problem out.

I have a fresh build as follows:

G-X58A-UD3R mobo
i7 560 cpu at 3.2
12 gigs (6 sticks) gSkill 1600 trichannel memory
Win7pro running on a 64gig SSD
2-2TB HD in Raid 0
1-1TB HD
nVidia Quadro 4800 graphics card
1000W power supply

Built system on bench, all posted ok just left everything auto in BIOS no tweaking except for switching on Intel Raid Manager.
Loaded Win7 and set up all parameters.  Loaded adobe suite and all pertenent software.   ALL A-OK.

After moving system to office, system would not boot, also will not go beyond the Gigabyte splash screen.  Cannot get into POST nor BIOS nor anything else.

So far I  have tried:  Removing all  peripherals inclusding SATA drives (still cannot boot BIOS), removed all memory except 1 stick in #2 slot (still cannot boot BIOS), removed CMOS battery for 1 hour with power cord unplugged to reset primary BIOS (still cannot boot BIOS)

Has anyone else experieced this.  I am running out of time to RMA the Motherboard or CPU,  before the replacement warantee expires.
I am thinking about changing the lot! Anyone concur?
 ???
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:22:38 pm by photorooster »

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
Re: GA-X58A-UD3R Worked on bench but now only splash screen.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 11:41:03 am »
Maybe somebody has experienced and sorted this problem out.

I have a fresh build as follows:

G-X58A-UD3R mobo
i7 560 cpu at 3.2
12 gigs (6 sticks) gSkill 1600 trichannel memory
Win7pro running on a 64gig SSD
2-2TB HD in Raid 0
1-1TB HD
nVidia Quadro 4800 graphics card
1000W power supply

Built system on bench, all posted ok just left everything auto in BIOS no tweaking except for switching on Intel Raid Manager.
Loaded Win7 and set up all parameters.  Loaded adobe suite and all pertenent software.   ALL A-OK.

After moving system to office, system would not boot, also will not go beyond the Gigabyte splash screen.  Cannot get into POST nor BIOS nor anything else.

So far I  have tried:  Removing all  peripherals inclusding SATA drives (still cannot boot BIOS), removed all memory except 1 stick in #2 slot (still cannot boot BIOS), removed CMOS battery for 1 hour with power cord unplugged to reset primary BIOS (still cannot boot BIOS)

Has anyone else experieced this.  I am running out of time to RMA the Motherboard or CPU,  before the replacement warantee expires.
I am thinking about changing the lot! Anyone concur?
 ???

not this looks like a bios/board issue only! try resetting the onboard DMI, reset cmos then take out ram cpu and video power one for 20 seconds then power off and reinstert one component at a time. Try even inserting one module of ram at a time to see what happens?
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news

Tom N.

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 07:48:16 am »
I had a similar situation, believe it or not having a USB stick in the USB port enabled my setup to boot!

Try it and let us know if it did anything.

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 10:47:09 am »
I had a similar situation, believe it or not having a USB stick in the USB port enabled my setup to boot!

Try it and let us know if it did anything.

wow tom that is weird!

gilgamesh
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 01:12:33 am »
Thanks Gilgamesh and Tom.

As I stated in my post the 30-day window for me to return the board and CPU to the vendor was quickly closing and I really wanted to get this rig working so I had them both replaced.   

Guess what?   Now with the new mobo and CPU, the system is cycling on and off, a condition I have read about in other posts. Now I don’t even get the splash screen I had with the old mobo. Grrrrrrrr.

So far I have tried removing all peripheral devices except the CPU, one stick of memory and GPU.  The on/off cycle still continues.  I have tried each stick of memory one at a time (in the proper slot), tried a different GPU from another good box, double checked my mobo connections, especially the power supply connections.   I am becoming discouraged. 

So the saga continues.... This is killing my video production productivity, if I can't get it up and running soon I'm considering a different model motherboard with a better track record.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 07:48:24 pm »
Well enough is enough.  I was loosing to much money with the system downtime.

I purchased another manufacturers motherboard and installed it with all of the original components.  Posted right off the bat.  Reassembled the system and it works fine and is now on line and productive.  It had to be the motherboard that was defective.   

Perhaps I just had a run of bad luck. 

I plan to RMA the 2nd board after the other one is returned to me.

When I get both boards back I will build another system with a i7-930 CPU,  and 6 gigs of memory for my everyday use. Between 2 re-worked boards I would assume one will work properly  :-[

I will post more on this thread at that time.