GA-Z87MX-D3H frequent boot problems
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:55:57 pm »
Hi,

I'm having reoccurring boot problems of several kinds with my new build:
* GA-Z87MX-D3H
* Intel i7 4770K
* 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
* Corsair RX850 PSU

* I managed to update the BIOS to version F5 successfully (passed verification)
* Performed CMOS reset and chose default optimized values after that (so no over-clocking)
* Prior to installing CPU I expected the socket and it was fine

I performed tests in minimalistic configuration (see video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVpHOGBKZIU):
- MB installed in the case (with spacers)
- CPU + fan installed and connected
- RAM installed
- The two power connectors attached
- Power button and internal speaker attached
- DVI monitor to on-board graphics
- Nothing else connected, even no keyboard/mouse

1. Sometimes the computer boots fine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INrra1xS4Qg

2. However, most of the time it starts booting for like 15-20 sec (CPU fan spins) then turns off (I hear the PSU clicking and CPU fan stops). Then in a second it starts booting again. Sometimes this repeats forever, sometimes succeeds to boot on the 4th attempt. One time it entered an infinite reboot-loop of reaching Win8 boot logo every time and then turning off and on again.

3. The most simple way I found to catch this behaviour on video is to turn the computer off by cutting power and not by the soft switch. After power loss it deterministically boots only on the 4th attempt (note the different screen behaviour): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alggLNsTxW8

4. Another boot problem happens when I connect HDMI TV instead of DVI monitor. With such setup it rarely succeeds to boot up. It emits some kind of error beep, I think it is one long and 2-3 short beeps. Does it mean video subsystem error?

5. Other behaviours I seen: Hang on Gigabyte logo screen or stuck on black screen. Don't remember if that was prior to BIOS update though.

Ideas? Do I miss something? Is that a faulty motherboard and I should get it replaced? Or claim for refund at all?

Best,
Vasili

vvv444

Re: GA-Z87MX-D3H frequent boot problems
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 08:43:16 am »
Update: Replaced the RAM with KHX24C11T3K2/16X (2x8GB) which is no the official supported list for this motherboard. RAM tested with MemTest86. Tried all the recommended memory profiles in BIOS. Does not solve the problem.

groen

Re: GA-Z87MX-D3H frequent boot problems
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 11:31:37 am »
I'm having similar boot problems as to what you describe under point 5. After upgrading to bios f6 I get a black screen even prior to the boot screen showing. Only solution is to reset. Every other attempt the bios boots fine. Obviously this is very frustrating. Downgrading back to f5 for now, but the problem seems persistent also in bios f5. I have not done much further testing, as this problem mainly appeared after upgrading to f6. My specs:

Mainboard: GA-Z87MX-D3H
CPU: i7-4770K