Official GIGABYTE Forum

SATA drives not spinning up .....

SATA drives not spinning up .....
« on: March 02, 2010, 10:21:45 am »
Sata drives not spinning up…

Please help, I’m about to cry like a small child! I have just purchased and assembled:-

1 x Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

1 x Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4 iP55 Socket 1156 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

1 x ******** 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 Ripjaw Memory Kit CL7(7-8-7-24) 1.65V

1 x Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail

1 x ******** 300 Three Hundred Case

1 x Hitachi SATA 160GB HD (as I already have 1 x 250GB SATA from my last machine).

My problem is none of the SATA drives are spinning up. I’ll set the scene…

Got all the parts delivered, read ALL the manuals and assembled the items in a textbook manner. (i.e, static band, mat, geeky tool set, coffee and quiet). 5 hours later fired her up with no problems. Installed my legal XP home, did system updates, installed WoW and played for a few hours happy as a pig in poo. Restarted my machine next morning…..nothing…..

After much testing, reading forums about XP drivers, changing the mobo battery, putting BIOS into raid mode then putting it back, swapping cables, pulling/pushing more cables. Even trying the drive in another machine (too which the SATA fired up instantly), and then doing the paper clip test on the PSU (my case fan fired up solo no probs, but still no SATA activity. Checking the RED and BLACK terminals on one of the SATA cables with a multimeter shows a 5.05v DC output.  I have also checked both Hitachi SATA drives in my old machine and they are fine.

So I’m sitting here on the verge for madness, and you guys and gals might have some answers.

Thanks in advance all,

Moonkat.

ErnieK

Re: SATA drives not spinning up .....
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 02:21:36 am »
Looks like you are having the same type (similar if not the same problem) of problem as myself (see link below for my post regarding it)

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1413.0.html

Can you use the DVD drive (if sata) to boot the PC (using any boot CD\DVD)

Only real difference in PC make-up is you have the UD4 & I have the UD6

Windows and BIOS can see my both my DVD RW drives and I can use them in windows OK (but with a noticeable delay in spinning up after inserting a disk (either CD or DVD) but cannot use either  to boot PC with three different boot CD's .

Prior to installing the chipset\motherboard drivers I used the First dvd drive to install windows XP and it is only since installing these that my problem seemed to occur. Can you pin down when you were last able use your DVD drive?

No reply yet to the post I made on 1st March, though there has been a few looked at it.
Ernie

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 09:10:00 am »
Hey there = )

Well when I first powered everything up it all worked a treat.  The DVD drive is IDE I'm afraid and that worked perfectly.  I would like to get everything SATA based soon though.  UI wanted one IDE and one SATA drive in at this
moment because I could problem solve quicker...>.< still not solved the problem.
However I have done some testing this morning using a digital multimeter and the Corsair PSU.  Here are my findings that I have posted on the Corsair Support Forum...

Black being ground of course...

IDE rails:-
Black + Red = 5.05v
Black + Yellow = 8.98v

SATA rails:-
Black + Red = 5.05v
Black + Yellow = 8.99v
Black + Orange = 3.40v

Based on the manual I am meant to have 5v, 3.3v, and 12v. Does this mean that I am not getting the 12v to spin up the drive?

Thanks,

Moonkat.

P.S This is my second build ever my days to return a product is counting down so please assist asap.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:15:50 am by moonkat »

ErnieK

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 01:39:05 pm »
MOONCAT

Like you when I first powered up everything worked as required. I added second DVD (sata) drive after installation of windows XP and everything went to hell in a banana boat.

When it comes to testing wiring and voltages etc I lack the knowledge. I always keep a spare (working) PSU to hand when I want to check and see if the (any) problem I have is caused\created by the installed PSU (Hope that makes sense to you)

See my solution  (to achieve a boot-able SATA drive) in the link I posted earlier.
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1413.0.html
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 01:41:28 pm by ErnieK »

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 01:59:02 pm »
Hey ErnieK =)

I'm glad you cracked the problem \o/

I have received an answer from 'Ram Guy' on the Corsair Support Forum with this reply...

"The yellow should be between 11.4v and 12.6v it looks like that may be where the problem is, lets go ahead and get it replaced!"

Hopefully now I can put my DVD, 2 x Sata in and follow your solved problem now I know the PSU is to blame.

Regards,

Moonkat = )