Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA EX58-UD3R - rollbak bios and memory problems

GA EX58-UD3R - rollbak bios and memory problems
« on: March 22, 2014, 01:19:00 pm »
Initially I've acquired an Asus Gene II x58 mboard for my i7 929 processor, with a 2x2gb ddr3 mushkin blackascent @ 1600mhz kit and a nvidia geforge 260 gtx graphics card to go along with a corsair 650w power supply.
Right from the beginning, the system wasn't recognising the full amount of memory, setting only half of it. If that wasn't a surprise in win7 32bits, with the 64 bit version, that just wasn't acceptable.
I've decided to to switch the motherboard to my actual one, a gigabyte ex58-UD3R.
Even so, the memory detection kept going on so, after an exhaustive search for a solution, I've noticed that in the board manual, due to intel specifications, the dual channel system wouldn't work and only 1 dimm would be used with memory with above speeds of 1333mhz (weird). Thus I've decided to get a new memory kit, a 2x4gb ddr3 gskill ripjaws @1333mhz.
Surprisingly, the problem remained.
The system / OS detected the 8gb, but kept only 4gb available. The bios detected the dimms, but was using only 1. In a computer store I was told that could be so and that the PC would probably get the remaining 4gb only if needed.
My next step was to check the bios version, so I've decided to update it (from FI to FK).
Big mistake...
Now I wasn't getting even the PC to load the OS, as it was rebooting every time it get to the memory detection part.
I've decided to roll back the bios and, voila, got the OS to run as usual.
The memory problem remained.

In the bios menu, I've checked the timings and it was assuming those of my old kit. I've tried to set them manually, but it didn't solved a thing.
Mushkin told me that my kit was discontinued, and it was made for a different chipset (an AMD775, if I recall).
As my pc was idealized for gaming, according to my possessions, I was running Fifa 13 and NBA 2K14 perfectly, but when I've finally got and installed Hitman absolution, as I started playing the game, the PC just shut down and rebooted, as if there was a unexpected power down situation. It happened only with this game.
I then had to swith my power suply to a LCpower arkangel 850w modular, as my corsair one fried up due to an isolate power surge.
I've bought a plug set with a power surge protection.
But he problems remained, this being the memory detection and now the rebooting situation with Hitman.
Oddly, after installing the latest Thief - Master thief, it happened the same rebooting problem!
After installing CPU-Z, I was surprised to see that my system was working on a single channel memory situation!! (what the......??).
I've contacted gigabyte and thy told me to update the bios. Worse!
So I did using @bios, and got the same problem as before, but now I'm not getting it to rollback again as, though detecting my usb pen in the bios menu, the Qflash is not detecting it and I've tried everything and setted the basic safe/optimal settings!!!
I'm going nuts HERE!!!!!
HELPPPPPPP!!!

Ps: sorry about the "testament", but I don't know what more to do... I'm desperate.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA EX58-UD3R - rollbak bios and memory problems
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 07:02:59 pm »
You can try what smashly is posting and it might kick in the backup bios. http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,12165.0.html
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.