Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H77N-WIFI doesn't POST

GA-H77N-WIFI doesn't POST
« on: March 26, 2014, 07:18:47 pm »
I have built a system based on a Gigabyte H77N-WIFI board, using components off the QVLs for CPU and RAM.
It has an Intel i5 3350P processor, 8GB of G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL (2 DDR3 sticks), and a Samsung 840EVO SSD in a Lian Li PC-Q12 HTPC case.

The problem is: It will not POST.  That is, there is no video signal coming from the DVI connector.  I am using a known-good display and cable.
The power LED lights.  The PSU, CPU and case fans spin.  The NIC LEDs react correctly for the network connection.

And now it gets bizarre.  I have replaced the RAM twice, each time using 1.5V 1333  9-9-9-24 DDR3.  I have replaced the PSU.  I have replaced the CPU.  I have tried the board outside the case to eliminate possible grounding issues.
Lastly, I have replaced the motherboard - meaning I now have a totally different system (save for the case and the SSD) - and it still will not POST!

I have officially reached the end of my rope.  Any suggestions as to WTH I'm missing will be much appreciated.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-H77N-WIFI doesn't POST
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 07:46:14 pm »
Hi there,

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your chosen chip doesn't support on-board graphics. The "P" means that the video is locked within the CPU. You will not be able to run onboard graphics. You will need a dedicated graphics card.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 09:41:55 pm »
After basically building three systems with the same result, I came to the conclusion that the problem lay elsewhere.
Sure enough, I was using the wrong CPU.  Even though it was on the QVL for this board, it wasn't supported.
Harsh lesson here - do not trust the QVLs when picking compatible parts.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 07:26:30 am »
The CPU is supported and the fault isn't with the motherboard which will run graphics with the correct processor. As I stated before, the problem is due to your choice of CPU.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.