Official GIGABYTE Forum

Can't instal Win7 Pro on new build

Can't instal Win7 Pro on new build
« on: March 05, 2010, 02:04:31 pm »
Hi All,

Have just built a new system (based on the P55-UD5 with i7 860) and went to install Win7 Pro only to encounter a corrupted system file during install (before it even got to the first options screen). Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and it immediately reported a hardware error but gave no more details. I then ran Memtest86+ (V4.00) and it reported loads of errors. I have 4 sticks of 2GB OCZ Gold RAM.

I removed all 4 sticks and tested each one in turn and none threw up any errors but as soon as I put 2 or more sticks in the mobo Memtest threw errors.

The OCZ forum suggests turning DRAM voltage up to 1.65v and adjusting the timings which I've done. This has reduced the errors but not eliminated them.

Don't want to install Windows until I've got a stable base system (have no plans to overclock).

Has anyone else had any issues with OCZ Gold RAM? Anyone else had to crank up the voltages to get the system working?

Any comments appreciated.

Many thanks,

Thinqer77

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
Re: Can't instal Win7 Pro on new build
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 02:34:52 pm »
Hi All,

Have just built a new system (based on the P55-UD5 with i7 860) and went to install Win7 Pro only to encounter a corrupted system file during install (before it even got to the first options screen). Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and it immediately reported a hardware error but gave no more details. I then ran Memtest86+ (V4.00) and it reported loads of errors. I have 4 sticks of 2GB OCZ Gold RAM.

I removed all 4 sticks and tested each one in turn and none threw up any errors but as soon as I put 2 or more sticks in the mobo Memtest threw errors.

The OCZ forum suggests turning DRAM voltage up to 1.65v and adjusting the timings which I've done. This has reduced the errors but not eliminated them.

Don't want to install Windows until I've got a stable base system (have no plans to overclock).

Has anyone else had any issues with OCZ Gold RAM? Anyone else had to crank up the voltages to get the system working?

Any comments appreciated.

Many thanks,

Thinqer77

To be honest I wouldnt buy OCZ (except for their SSD drives they are good) at all. Usually with OCZ you have to set the TRFC (i know on my X58 I set it to 75 for my triple channel ddr3 ram.

OCZ use PFC modules  if I remember rightly set the timings as stipluated by the ram dont leave anything on auto if you can help it. On the board you need to scale the VTT accordingly , so tr upping that a little also!

gilgamesh
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 04:40:55 pm »
By VTT do you mean QPI?

tRFC is at 80 already, as suggested by OCZ. Timings are at 9-9-9-24 so might go to 10-10-10-30 and see if that helps.

Thanks for sharing your experience though! First time I've used OCZ as have always previously used Corsair. May think about returning DIMMS and swapping for some Corsair sets...

T

UD6

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 01:26:28 pm »
I have the GA-P55-UD6 with OCZ PC3 10666 2 x 2 GB. No problems even with undervolting. But if I want to have them at rated speed I have to set them

QPI/Vtt Voltage to 1.35 volts
DRAM Voltage to 1.65 volts

and all the other settings for the timings of course.

Perhaps yours need the QPI/Vtt Voltage too? But mine is the Platinum edition.