Official GIGABYTE Forum

XMP fails. Wrong BCLK and MULT. Z87x-UD5h. What is this nonesense!?

Hello,
My computer was stable with beta bios F8c. Thought about flashing the next stable bios F9 just because of the value of it not being a beta and then problems arrived, that didn't get solved by using beta bios F10c.

Strange BCLK and MULT different from what is set in BIOS.
After loading optimized defaults, BCLK is set to auto, but is not stable at 100Mhz but a little lower causing strange readings. Also, the multiplier is doing funny things, like instead of staiyng at 35 as per bios, it goes to 37 (not 39 as advertised for the 4770K). All of this combined causes a reading of 3,69Ghz... strange.

XMP causes boot failure even when the rest is all optimized defaults
But the main problem isn't that one. XMP doesn't work now. If I use any of the XMP settings, then boot fails. Really? Is it really that hard to make a board that works with the most basic features that normal hardware offers today?

Any ideas? Thanks
GA-Z87X-UD5H
G.Skill TridentX 32Gb 4x8Gb 2400 CL10
Corsair AX860 PSU
GTX 570

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: XMP fails. Wrong BCLK and MULT. Z87x-UD5h. What is this nonesense!?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 07:29:31 pm »
Ah the joys of updating BIOS and finding things that used to work no longer do. I have to agree with you, it is one of the strange things that I have never understood, how something, that you think should be so easy to get right, often goes wrong.

You could try flashing back to the earlier F8c BIOS but sadly that might not prove so easy to do as you had to update using the EFIFlash tool and I think you have to do something similar when rolling back to an earlier version. If you want to try doing this then check Stasio's post over on TweakTown here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios-904.html#post479419 for a quick how to.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Re: XMP fails. Wrong BCLK and MULT. Z87x-UD5h. What is this nonesense!?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:33:43 pm »
Thanks. I was hoping to finally be able to use a stable BIOS instead of a beta. Before using F8c, I had that ridiculous problem that kept me from using all my ram. That got corrected with F8c.

The problem of the BCLK being lower than 100Mhz was there since I started using this board though. At the moment my 4770K is sitting at 3.46Ghz, even though everything is set to default inside BIOS.
GA-Z87X-UD5H
G.Skill TridentX 32Gb 4x8Gb 2400 CL10
Corsair AX860 PSU
GTX 570